Routing Issue..

vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
We have a client with 10 servers.

We just installed a new ISA box for them.

All machines can be ping by hostname & IP. EXCEPT exchange. Exchange is still working, but horribly slow.

Only the new ISA box can be remoted into.

I'm not too advanced with networking and know very little about ISA.

All servers are in the proper containers in AD as nothing has been changed.

Comments

• aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    can you ping out from the exchange server to the other servers? if so then its a firewall issue on the exchange server or somewhere along the line you have icmp packets being filtered

if you cant ping out from the exchange server to the others then its definetaly a networking issue
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    aordal wrote:
    can you ping out from the exchange server to the other servers? if so then its a firewall issue on the exchange server or somewhere along the line you have icmp packets being filtered

if you cant ping out from the exchange server to the others then its definetaly a networking issue

How would that happen if nothing has changed except the addition of the ISA box?
  • aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    ISA box is a firewall, are you routing traffic through it? Probably has ports shut down for rdp, icmp etc..
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes if your putting any firewalls in place you will have to open up the ports required for your traffic. if your already going through the ISA and can ping hosts on the other side then i dont think it will be an issue with icmp if other hosts are working.

Is its only the exchange server you cant ping? have you checked the dns records for it?

Also when you say exchange is slow what do you mean? the performance on the box? the traffic speed when it goes through the ISA box etc?

Have you tried taking the isa box out of the loop altogether to see if everything goes away once the isa is removed?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    nel wrote:
    Yes if your putting any firewalls in place you will have to open up the ports required for your traffic.

Exchange isn't routed through ISA from what I'm told.

I just found out it's a few other servers now. icon_cry.gif
    Apparently ISA is the problem. It's grabbing all the IP ranges for the network.

This is the first thing I said, but no one listened to me. icon_redface.gif
  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    how do you mean it's grabbing all ranges for the network?
    malcybood wrote:
    how do you mean it's grabbing all ranges for the network?

All the IP ranges are being filtered by the ISA box, they're not in the network array.