Options

Need Job Advice

BennyLavaBennyLava Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been reading these forums for a while but I don't post a whole lot. I just started my first IT-related job yesterday, and so far I don't like it and could use some advice on what I should do at this point.

I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in computer networking a few months ago and also completed my CCNP around the same time (Yes I realize I probably should have found an entry level job before then). I've been looking for a job since then and had several promising interviews, but only one job offer which I accepted and began working at yesterday. The company is a fairly large company with several network engineers and is also a Cisco business partner. I was hired as a subcontractor, which they said is typically how they hire people initially until they have an opening for a normal employee. At the job interviews, I was told that I would be involved in a variety of things, from setting up servers to working on cisco equipment. I was also told that I would be working at a client site who had contracted this company for 20 hours of work per week, but that they could find other stuff for me to do that would keep me busy for 30 to 40 hours a week total. The pay is only $10 an hour, but I figured for a chance to work with Cisco equipment and be hired as an engineer later on down the road, it would be well worth it.

Well, so far after working there for 2 days I've found out that the only type of work I'll be doing is helping a team of a few users who travel to various schools in the area and helping them to connect to the school's network on a couple of laptops, and helping them troubleshoot a Dental software application that they use which I have no experience with and little desire to learn. The client also told me on the first day that they only need me to work 3 hours a day, so it looks like I will only be getting 15 hours a week. The schools that I will be working at for the client who hired me are all 20+ miles away from my house, so I will be driving a minimum of 40 miles round trip all for 3 hours of work per day at $10 per hour. I was also told today that I need to purchase a cell phone, which I currently can't even afford, and that it will not be covered by the company. So far it has been very frustrating and disappointing.

My plan was to take the CCDA and QoS exams which I've been studying for a few months but was waiting until I found an IT job and had money coming in, and then work on the remaining CCIP exams and begin working towards the CCIE R&S, but now I'm having second thoughts about if it will be worth it. I've spent nearly all my time when I wasn't looking for a job either reading Cisco material or doing labs in dynamips and it is frustrating to not even be able to find an entry level type of position where I can work with Cisco equipment. What do you guys think, should I stay with this job and hope that it turns into something better later on? If not, do you have any suggestions about where else to apply?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think you are expecting to much out of an entry level position. I agree the position you are in now sucks more than usual, but regardless of your knowledge level from self study you are still inexperienced.

There are not many companies out there that are going to let you jump right into their network with zero real world experience. That is just the way it works. You can have all these certs and all the time in the home lab but that doesn't mean much to most employers. You are going to have to suffer it out doing mundane tasks that you find too easy. You are going to have to prove to an employer that you can handle the responsibility.

There is much more that comes from real world experience besides just how to configure something. How can a company know how you will act in a pressure sensitive situation with no help? They don't know if you have never done it before. That is why companies want experience rather than just technical know how.

If I were you I'd continue looking for Cisco partners and applying at any kind of jobs to get your feet wet. In the end you will probably have to suffer it out in entry level stuff that you will not enjoy for a while. Just remember that entry experience is very important to potential employers and your chances of finding the job you want are small without it under your belt.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    You have high ambitions, don't we all though. I'd love to do the work of a network engineer but it's a few years off. I have an A.S. degree and a B.S. by next Christmas (I hope). Hopefully a CCNA by then as well.

My current job is as an IT Analyst. Basically it's Helpdesk - Desktop Support - Network Support - Phone Support rolled into one job description. I mostly repair and deploy PC's and other end user devices. I also perform cross-connects for the phone system, rack network gear and troubleshoot both LAN and WAN links. Some days, rarely i mind you, I'm given a chance to do the base config on one of the cisco routers.

It sucks, nit so much but it's not where I want to be. But one thing to keep in mind, just like in life, we all do time in the trenches. It's a necessary evil. If you can swing your current job then do it for a little while, at least 6 months and then look elsewhere.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    amp2030amp2030 Member Posts: 253
    This is in no way relevant to your post, but I feel like such a geek for recognizing the video that inspired your nickname and avatar. icon_eek.gif

Edit: I am NOT implying you are a geek for using it, the above statement applies entirely to myself.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    amp2030 wrote:
    This is in no way relevant to your post, but I feel like such a geek for recognizing the video that inspired your nickname and avatar. icon_eek.gif

Yea, I thought it was funny that he actually based his name off of it as well icon_lol.gif

Here's the video for those that haven't seen it.
    amp2030 wrote:
    Edit: I am NOT implying you are a geek for using it, the above statement applies entirely to myself.

Agreed. You're a geek because you're participating in an IT forum. Welcome, brother! :D
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ^^^lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo @ that video...wtf!!!
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments. I wasn't really expecting to get a network engineer job first thing but I was hoping it would be a little closer to it than this. I think I'm mainly disappointed about it just because it's turned out so much different than they told me it would be at the interviews. I think I'm going to continue working there for now and continue looking for other jobs as well. If anyone has any other suggestions especially about places to apply at feel free to add them.
  • Options
    A couple other questions on this, is it common to have to start out in an IT job that isn't very much related to what you've been studying and what you plan to do in the future? If so, how much experience do you guys think it will take before I can start to be seriously considered for a network engineer type of job, or at least one that will lead into that type of job? I am hoping to finish the CCIE routing and switching within 2 years at the most, but I'm concerned about how that will look if I haven't gotten an opportunity to work with Cisco equipment at work before then.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    BennyLava wrote:
    A couple other questions on this, is it common to have to start out in an IT job that isn't very much related to what you've been studying and what you plan to do in the future?
    Not that uncommon. I'd say, the more advanced your studying has been, the less likely your first job will match your study... it's like the experience level required for consideration for those jobs increases exponentially.
    If so, how much experience do you guys think it will take before I can start to be seriously considered for a network engineer type of job, or at least one that will lead into that type of job?
    I think you can do a little better than what you're working right now. However, what they promised you sounds like a lot more than most companies would give to someone with no IT experience.
    I am hoping to finish the CCIE routing and switching within 2 years at the most, but I'm concerned about how that will look if I haven't gotten an opportunity to work with Cisco equipment at work before then.

Don't even worry about CCIE yet. Get your work experience up to CCNP level first.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    StigmatasStigmatas Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Apply for a job with the government. DoD FBI DISA etc etc.
    http://www.usajobs.gov/

My first job right out of tech school. I had to install workstations.
    receive delivery, unbox, hookup, load up software, make user accounts, printers, and support for the next two weeks.

The only thing "technical" thing I did was unlocking accounts..

You have the education.. you just need the time.
    Continue to bone up on your skills. Go on more than one interview. Search.. talk to people.
    Network+ > ICND1 > ICND2 > ?

<-- No degree

Network+ = 11/18/08 DONE
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That job sounds awful. I would definitely look for something better. Unfortunately schooling alone doesn't get you a job, experience is the most important factor. You will probably have to do desktop support or something similar.

I've been doing full-time IT for about four years now and I just got a job doing helpdesk (and a few more interesting things), it's a stepping stone. For me, it's completely worth it to have the opportunity to do what I love.

-Kale