Can you write protect a USB key?

pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
So I’ve got this chepo MicroCenter 2GB usb key. I keep a portable linux distro on it, some windows utilities, and a small library of pdf’s. I do onsite work right now so I have to deal with a lot of different environments.

I have a program called Angry IP scanner. It’s pretty handy in a pinch if you need to know what computers have what IP’s on a subnet. http://www.angryziber.com

Anyway, Norton thinks it’s a virus. Stupid Norton. When I need something from that folder it usually snatches it from my drive and puts it in the virus vault without even asking. Then i have to reload it on my home machine.

I’ve tried to mark that folder as read only, but that only works as long as I’m on that machine.

Any thoughts on how I can protect this folder, but still keep it usable on various windows?

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
  • pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    tiersten wrote:
    Use nmap?

That's a good thought. I actually do have that on the key too. However the problem still remains, because I know I have other files that norton sometimes catches.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    pwjohnston wrote:
    tiersten wrote:
    Use nmap?

That's a good thought. I actually do have that on the key too. However the problem still remains, because I know I have other files that norton sometimes catches.
    The best you can do I guess would be to see if putting an ACL on it would stop Norton. I'd assume not though since malware writers would do the same trick.

Some USB drives do have a write protect switch on them but its pretty much the whole drive that gets protected.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So are you in a position where you can't disable the AV, or do you just find yourself forgetting to do that and are having your stuff cleaned off as soon as you absentmindedly plug it in?

How much of that 2gb are you using? You could create a TrueCrypt container or something like a password protected zip file to create a protected backup of your problematic utilities. That way, you could restore them on the spot if something happened.

Also, have you checked the AV software's quarantine area? I believe most will quarantine files, not delete them outright, so you should be able to restore them in some circumstances. It depends how they are configured though.