Options

Laptop Broke :(

m.j.boylinm.j.boylin Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi

My Inspiron 6400 laptop just switched off last night and wont switch back on, well it switches on for about 2 seconds and goes back off.

The Num, Caps and Scroll lock light are permanantly on when it is switched on for 2 seconds but go off when the laptop goes off.

There are no beeps and nothing is displayed on the screen, nothing works.

I have changed the RAM - still nothing
I have removed the HDD - still nothing
I have checked the battery - fully charged
I have removed the DVD Drive - still nothing
I have dismantled the entire laptop and cheaned the moby with iso-propyl alchohol and blew away any dust- still nothing
I have cleaned the CPU and the CPU Socket - still nothing
Put it back together - still nothing lol

When it is switched on for the 2 seconds, the fan does not spin or move at all. Could this be a probelm? It did not feel hot when i switched off.

Thinking it is a motherboard problem?

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Options
    Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    m.j.boylin wrote:
    Hi

My Inspiron 6400 laptop just switched off last night and wont switch back on, well it switches on for about 2 seconds and goes back off.

The Num, Caps and Scroll lock light are permanantly on when it is switched on for 2 seconds but go off when the laptop goes off.

There are no beeps and nothing is displayed on the screen, nothing works.

I have changed the RAM - still nothing
    I have removed the HDD - still nothing
    I have checked the battery - fully charged
    I have removed the DVD Drive - still nothing
    I have dismantled the entire laptop and cheaned the moby with iso-propyl alchohol and blew away any dust- still nothing
    I have cleaned the CPU and the CPU Socket - still nothing
    Put it back together - still nothing lol

When it is switched on for the 2 seconds, the fan does not spin or move at all. Could this be a probelm? It did not feel hot when i switched off.

Thinking it is a motherboard problem?

Thanks for the help

Probably a bad voltage regulator or something.
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Dell is notorious for using extremly low quality and cheapt parts on their products, so I would blame Dell.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What you could try is to disconnect any AC power source and remove the battery from the notebook. Then press and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Reinstall the battery and AC power and see if it works for you then.

Doesn't work all of the time, but I've had it revive a couple of notebooks that others assumed were totally hosed.
  • Options
    m.j.boylinm.j.boylin Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    my problem happend in the morning of yesterday, so i tried what you said and it worked. But it does not work now. Thanks tho