Options

CCNP Begins...

gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
Well I've just got back from holiday, and decided to start CCNP.

Going to sit the BSCI in around 6 weeks time from now (Provisionally, at least)

Here we go, then!

Comments

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck man,

Do you have much experiance with the BSCI topics as thats a short amount of time to prepare for the exam? or at least to me it is? you usually hear guys studying 3+ months for this.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think 8 weeks is the sweet spot for this test, although everyone is different.

Good luck to you, I highly recommend TCP/IP Volume I.
  • Options
    I'm fresh out of CCNA, and am a quick learner.

It's only a provisional date, if I don't feel ready for it, I can easily change the date.

But knowing the exam is in 6 weeks makes me do work... otherwise I can get a bit lazy about doing it...
  • Options
    PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    Good luck!

Pace yourself.. if you feel like you can recite everything about a certain topic, move on to the next.. don't let the illusion of time be a barrier or constraint for you.. typically your average candidate gets the CCNP done in 8-12 months.. but who says you have to be like every average candidate?

Time is an illusion, do it at your own pace.. if you get it done in 4 months.. amazing.. if you take 10.. amazing (just not quite as jaw dropping) ;)
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    gorebrush wrote:
    Well I've just got back from holiday, and decided to start CCNP.

Going to sit the BSCI in around 6 weeks time from now (Provisionally, at least)

Here we go, then!

Good luck with that. I recall starting my CCNP back in 2000. I think I cleared all the exams by June 2001 so it was about 8-9 months all in. Evening study mostly and some weekends. My job at the time was very challenging so no free time available there and pretty tired most evenings. I think I finished it before I relocated the whole site to a new office but it was a while ago ;)

Choose whatever pace suits you. A lot of it was fairly new to me back then but you can get through it in a reasonable timeframe if you put the work in.
  • Options
    Thanks all :)

Ultimately I want to go CCIE... so I might need some help in building a lab ;)

What I would like is a Layer 3 based switching lab to cover the starting of a CCIE Lab and in the meantime use it for CCNP... does that sound reasonable?

Although I guess I can get away with Dynamips and my 2500's for now though... (At least for BSCI, I guess)
  • Options
    gorebrush wrote:
    Thanks all :)

Ultimately I want to go CCIE... so I might need some help in building a lab ;)

What I would like is a Layer 3 based switching lab to cover the starting of a CCIE Lab and in the meantime use it for CCNP... does that sound reasonable?

Although I guess I can get away with Dynamips and my 2500's for now though... (At least for BSCI, I guess)

Seems reasonable. Im using 3550 EMI switches and 2500 series routers here and I can get most things done. Good luck with your studies!
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Well done for getting started!!! I completed BSCI in about 8 weeks.... and that was because I had to wait an additional two weeks for a spot to become available at my testing centre....

So it is achievable..... just stay focused!!!! :) If you do pick things up easily that's great but just ensure you keep revising so it gets locked away in long term memory and not forgotten after you sit the test.....

Plenty of support on these forums... :) I'm using a mixture for 2600\2500 series routers and 3550 series MLS's in my lab.... I have a single 3560 arriving soon so I can really get stuck into my CCIE journey...

Good Luck!

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    That's eoncouraging :)

I am considering buying 2 x 3560's, and possibly 2 x 3550's, and then just a ton of routers.

Hopefully that should cover it.

I know that is a LOT of money just for that - but I am fortunate to be in a position where I can invest a fair chunk of money into it, plus I want to, plus I see it as an investment.
  • Options
    gorebrush wrote:
    plus I see it as an investment.

Rightfully so! I have no issue spending money on anything certification related. It's one of the few investments these days that will certainly provide a nice return eventually!!

Good luck brother..be sure to post if you need any assistance!
  • Options
    Exactly, so I have absolutely no issue whatsoever in spending lots of money on equipment.

At one point I was contemplating 2800 routers too... :D

I can see me turning into another Scott Morris with the amount of equipment.

The best bit?

The mrs said "I already know your going to get more equipment, and I dont mind"

AWESOME :D
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    If you can afford it right now then get the new ISR such as the 2800 because when 12.5 comes out you will have at least 1 router that can be upgraded. +1 for investment in education. I am probably going to get a 3560 SW soon and next year get a 2800 router or even a 1841 router I think can be upgraded to 12.5 which I will probably get 2 then. I heard with 12.5 you will not be able to use dynamips or those type of programs.

Good Luck on your future endeavor
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    While Dynamips is OK, I'd rather have the proper equipment...

Nothing beats the "feel" of setting this stuff up, and assessing cables and connections when you are troubleshooting labs would be much better than trying to stare at a topology table.

Also, GNS3 crapped out on me with my initial experiments, so I doubt I will bother with it much.

EDIT: I hear ya on the 28xx suggestion. Was going to bag one for CCNA/CCVP but I didn't even think about 12.5 - and this was the one area I was keen to ensure I could keep on top of (future software releases totally stuffing up my lab!)

Would 12.5 affect switches too? Would 3550/3560 cover for a while?
  • Options
    gorebrush wrote:
    While Dynamips is OK, I'd rather have the proper equipment...

Nothing beats the "feel" of setting this stuff up, and assessing cables and connections when you are troubleshooting labs would be much better than trying to stare at a topology table.

Also, GNS3 crapped out on me with my initial experiments, so I doubt I will bother with it much.

EDIT: I hear ya on the 28xx suggestion. Was going to bag one for CCNA/CCVP but I didn't even think about 12.5 - and this was the one area I was keen to ensure I could keep on top of (future software releases totally stuffing up my lab!)

Would 12.5 affect switches too? Would 3550/3560 cover for a while?

Short of space? Short of dough? Try the dynamips thing. Otherwise go for real gear. Dynamips can be a hassle to get working smoothly and can't do everything you might want to do.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For equipment I personally would spend most of my money on the switches, dynamips really should suffice for most, if not all, of your routing needs IMO.
  • Options
    gorebrush wrote:

She's a keeper!!!!

She doesn't have any like-minded friends or sisters does she icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Mrock4 wrote:
    gorebrush wrote:

She's a keeper!!!!

I second that.
  • Options
    She has a sister, I'll let her know.

:D
  • Options
    Just remember Mrock called dibs first..not that cisco_trooper punk :)
  • Options
    No probs, will tell her there's a queue ;)
  • Options
    Yeah, well CT is tagged as priority. Thank God for QoS. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Haha!

Awesome.
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mrock4 wrote:
    gorebrush wrote:
    She's a keeper!!!!

I'm lucky that my gal has the same mentality. ;)

Starting to lurk the CCNP forum is really getting me itchy to start CCNP and I'm looking forward to following everyone's posts in their progress like yours. Best of luck!
  • Options
    Sorry to bump an old topic...

But I'm working through all the theory and i'm finding that I am *loving* it!

Currently on Chapter 8, Advanced OSPF Topics...

icon_biggrin.gif
  • Options
    If you love theory you will be right at home with the BCMSN..ie: STP/MSTP/RSTP/PVST+ etc. That being said I think the BSCI was a lot more interesting.

Do you still think you're going to take the BSCI around late December?
  • Options
    Well, with the rate I am attacking the text book, yes, I think 22nd December is a realistic target.

In the meantime, I need to source some equipment for the BCMSN.

Would like some 3550's - won't I need one with EMI and SMI, or both EMI? I forget which is the better of the two feature sets to have.

Might get 2/3 - ultimately I will complement these with 3560's for CCIE.

What do you think?

Overall I want the CCNP around May 09.
  • Options
    You don't absolutely have to have the EMI image, but since it's just an IOS upgrade, you might as well. The only real difference is that the SMI image supports basic routing (RIP, static routes), and the EMI supports advanced routing features (OSPF, EIGRP, etc).

I would say start getting the 3550's as you can afford them, but they're not absolutely required for the BCMSN at all. I've been using rack rentals for the BCMSN w/ 3560's, which have served me well so far. At a minimum I'd get 2 3550's if you have the money.

Looks like we're both on the same track. I'm trying to complete the CCNP by May, but I might be cutting it close.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips - I couldn't remember the difference's between them.

Money is no object when it comes to the certifications, so I am more than happy to buy 2 x 3550's.

In my mind that's what I was going to think about getting, and then supplement it with 60's further down the line.

:)
  • Options
    There's a few crackers on ebay...

Gah, I may end up ordering some now
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You might want to get a WS-C3550-24PWR-SMI

The PWR tells you that it has power over ethernet, which will allow you to power Cisco APs and IP Phones right from your switch.

With used switches, the PWR models generally cost the same as the standard SMI models, and you'll be glad you have them if you ever get an access point or phone.

You can still use PoE devices if you don't have a PWR switch, but you'll then need the inline adapters and more electrical outlets.

Now I've said all this based on the USA models, so make sure you know the drill for your particular region.

Good luck getting your lab going.