Options

Cisco before CompTIA

Knowledge82Knowledge82 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Will it be any good for me if I take Cisco classes before I even get an A+ or Network+.
And I have no experience, or would it be better to get an A+ Network+ then CCNA
I'm thinking about going to Tesst College for a CompTIA & MSCE course, it costs $ 2390
thats alot of money and I hear alot of ppl say that with an A+ or Network+ cert you'll only be making $8 - 15 an hour. What should I do because I do wanna get into Cisco eventtually, Should I go Straight for an Cisco Cert or get my A+ first

Comments

• Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You certainly want to go for the CompTIA A+ and Net+ first if you have no experience. A CCNA with zero experience doesn't look too well on a resume. The 8-15 an hour are the dues you pay to get into the field. Start at the bottom and work up. After you have some experience, go for the CCNA and it will look a lot better!
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Go for A+ and Network+ first, if you tried to go for CCNA you'll be lost in the first couple of pages of the CCNA book if you don't have the knowledge those certs introduce to you. I'm not a big fan of the questions that Comptia use on their tests but I would at least read the material in Network+ and not bother with taking the test if your tight on cash. A+ is worth taking the test since it helps you with getting a entry level job.
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Agreed, complete CompTIA A+ and Net+ first. Everything requires building that foundation toward higher level understanding of computers. You've got to start somewhere and CompTIA is a great starting point. After completing those, you can always branch off to Cisco.

A+ -> Net+ -> CCENT -> CCNA

That's a good starting point, IMHO.

Here are others to consider that make great choices after CCNA:
    CompTIA Security+
    CompTIA Server+
    CWNP CWNA
    CWNP CWSP
    CCNA Wireless
    CCNA Security
    CCNA Voice
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Or Juniper. Lets not forget that. Yeah i would def go A+,Net+.
    Here is what i did.

A+,Network+,70-620,
    A+ Network+ will count as your elective for MCSA

Left 290 and 291. for MCSA.

Taking my 290 on Tuesday

So that my track so far. I would eventually like to finish MCSE and then progress to my CCNA.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This thread sounds like my own personal cert path

A+ (2002)

Net+ (2004)

CCNA (2007)

And I'm almost 50 and just about had to start all over after the PC boom

Anyone need a mainframe tech?

:)

There were so many paper MCSE's in the late 90's that almost anyone who is going to hire you
    is going to worry if you only have one cert and no experience.

Good luck with it and welcome to the wonderful world of networking
  • Options
    empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    Will it be any good for me if I take Cisco classes before I even get an A+ or Network+.
    And I have no experience, or would it be better to get an A+ Network+ then CCNA
    I'm thinking about going to Tesst College for a CompTIA & MSCE course, it costs $ 2390
    thats alot of money and I hear alot of ppl say that with an A+ or Network+ cert you'll only be making $8 - 15 an hour. What should I do because I do wanna get into Cisco eventtually, Should I go Straight for an Cisco Cert or get my A+ first

I don't agree with a few things posted. If you go to a Netwoking academy, they will teach you everything you need to pass your CCNA and N+. Most of the earlier curriculum for CCNA will give u everything you need. Finding a job might be a little differnet, but you dont' need th A+ and N+ if you are going to be doing cisco.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    empc4000xl wrote:
    I don't agree with a few things posted. If you go to a Netwoking academy, they will teach you everything you need to pass your CCNA and N+. Most of the earlier curriculum for CCNA will give u everything you need. Finding a job might be a little differnet, but you dont' need th A+ and N+ if you are going to be doing cisco.

Agreed. If you can show a degree from a school, it is often as good or better than a cert. Depends on who's hiring you. Experience usually beats everything. The younger folks still living with their parents should try the intern route. It will often lead to a full time job and the experience gained should really help even if they don't hire you.

Again, good luck to all.