Options

Advanced Microsoft Certifications

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
Anyone here looking to get any of the advanced Microsoft certs like MCM or MCA? Anyone even know someone who has these?

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/master/default.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/architect/default.mspx

Seems like these are a great idea. Puts an end to paper certs.
-Daniel

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A master will set you back $20k. Check out this thread: http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35081

They are working towards lab-based exams for their "regular" certs. Astorrs participated in a beta a month or two ago.

I don't know anyone with either of those.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lol @ $20k...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nope not at this time. Money is tight.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    When the MCA was announced, I was like "Wow"

Trouble is, and I think I'm biased now... so please help me out on this one...

Most of the jobs that I've taken, even though I've gotten an MCSE because that's the "top end" of the skill required - I still end up doing petty support jobs such as printers.

Sometimes it is just too frustrating for me to even want to bother with any more Microsoft-involved jobs. I want to get away from it...

Nowadays, I am not too interested in doing much more MS for the time being, I'd rather be doing proper networking....
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The thing is, I never needed a cert for a job I wanted. Experience was always more important. The only reason I am working on my MS Certs at the moment is my employer as he gives nice raises in exchange.

I don't see the need in doing either the Architect or Master series .. Think about .. $20k for a certification. I can only imagine that this would help you to get a job in Microsoft, but I cannot think of any company who would hire a Master .. I mean if you paid so much money for a cert you expect a decent salary obviously and at the end it is "just" another certification....

I have my MCITP: EA on Thursday and already said to my colleagues that I am tired of those stupid Microsoft exams lol
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Gomjaba wrote:
    I don't see the need in doing either the Architect or Master series .. Think about .. $20k for a certification. I can only imagine that this would help you to get a job in Microsoft, but I cannot think of any company who would hire a Master .. I mean if you paid so much money for a cert you expect a decent salary obviously and at the end it is "just" another certification....

It's pretty obvious that nobody would pay for a Masters out of their own pocket. The only people who will obtain this cert is by companies who want to market their employee who have the capability to obtain it and are willing to spend the $.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    royal wrote:
    It's pretty obvious that nobody would pay for a Masters out of their own pocket. The only people who will obtain this cert is by companies who want to market their employee who have the capability to obtain it and are willing to spend the $.

Exactly. A company who has a vested intrest in having a real "top of the heap" MS architect on their staff might invest in this. It's not for the IT lay person doing self study.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...