Options

2511 configuration

livenliven Member Posts: 918
Is there any need to do any kind of console port configuration on the device the octal cable is plugged into (not the 2511 router)?

I have used cisco's configuration verbatim from cisco's website. I can use a console cable and connect to my devices, but the access server config on a 2511 will not work. I keep getting connection refused.

any suggestions????
encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    See if the sessions are already connected and/or try clearing the line. I stumbled over that.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    What port are you trying to connect to?

Do what dynamik said as well.
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    liven wrote:
    Is there any need to do any kind of console port configuration on the device the octal cable is plugged into (not the 2511 router)?

I have used cisco's configuration verbatim from cisco's website. I can use a console cable and connect to my devices, but the access server config on a 2511 will not work. I keep getting connection refused.

any suggestions????

liven,

Do you have a link to the "...cisco's configuration verbatim from cisco's website...?"
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    See if the sessions are already connected and/or try clearing the line. I stumbled over that.

So you saying that the connection automatically establishes itself? I am not trying to be argumentative, just not following.

I finish the config in the cisco doc that we have linked. And then I try to telnet to the device and I get connection refused.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Do "show line" and see if any have a * at the start. If so then that line is busy. Use "clear line <number>" to reset it. Try connecting again.
  • Options
    liven wrote:

liven,

Exactly including the use of the IP addresses of 171.55.31.5 and 171.55.31.1?
  • Options
    liven wrote:

liven,

Don't really follow you here, but that is ok. I will try a

show line

and see if they are already connected
  • Options
    liven,
    liven wrote:
    liven wrote:

liven,

show line

You said "...is exactly what I am using..." where that link has a router configuration using the IP addresses of 171.55.31.5 and 171.55.31.1. So I ask again, did you use the configuration listed on that webpage exactly including the use of the IP addresses of 171.55.31.5 and 171.55.31.1?
  • Options
    liven,
    liven wrote:
    liven wrote:

liven,

show line

You said "...is exactly what I am using..." where that link has a router configuration using the IP addresses of 171.55.31.5 and 171.55.31.1. So I ask again, did you use the configuration listed on that webpage exactly including the use of the IP addresses of 171.55.31.5 and 171.55.31.1?

No I am using different addresses.

I don't see the address 171.55.31.1 on cicso example.

I am using 172.16.10.1 as my loop back address, and then adding sequential port numbers to 2000 for each ip host.

I am currently consoled directly into the 2511 router. So I do not need a default gateway or anything like that.
  • Options
    It looks like those are for the ethernet interface and default route. Those aren't going to affect what you're trying to do.

Did you notice this part: !--- Configure lines 1 - 16 with at least transport input Telnet.

Did the show line give you anything?
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    It looks like those are for the ethernet interface and default route. Those aren't going to affect what you're trying to do.

Did you notice this part: !--- Configure lines 1 - 16 with at least transport input Telnet.

Did the show line give you anything?

This is exactly what the problem is, but there was no command to enable the transport input telent. HOWEVER, by using:

conf t
    line con 0
    exec-timeout 0 0

I achieved the same affect.

Now I can telnet to my loop back on the port number I have assigned to the device the octal cable is acconcted to and BINGO. Life is good.

Thanks to Tech-airman and my brother Dynamik for the help!
  • Options
    liven,
    liven wrote:
    liven,
    liven wrote:
    liven wrote:

liven,

show line

No I am using different addresses.

I don't see the address 171.55.31.1 on cicso example.

Here are the IP addresses of 172.55.31.1 and 171.55.31.5...
    <snip>
    !
    interface Ethernet0
     ip address 171.55.31.5 255.255.255.192

!---  Use a public IP address to ensure connectivity. 
    <snip>
    !
    ip default-gateway 171.55.31.1

!--- This is the default gateway when routing is disabled.
    !--- For example, if the router is in boot ROM mode.

<snip>
    ip classless
    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 171.55.31.1

!--- Set the default route for the external network.

Source:
    1. Configuring a Terminal/Comm Server - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_configuration_example09186a008014f8e7.shtml

liven wrote:
    I am using 172.16.10.1 as my loop back address, and then adding sequential port numbers to 2000 for each ip host.

I am currently consoled directly into the 2511 router. So I do not need a default gateway or anything like that.

To use an access server, you're supposed to connect to the router through the Ethernet port and NOT the Console port. So for example, by using a Windows Command prompt you type ">telnet [IP address of Ethernet port of 2511 router] [port number]" where the port number corresponds to which octal cable that is connected to the Console Port of the networking device you wish to manage by access server. So actually, you DO need a default gateway "...or anything like that." to help route the access server traffic back to your computer's Ethernet port and NOT to the computer's Serial port. Does this make sense?
  • Options
    He has a console connection to the 2511 and he is telnetting from there to the other routers. That's how I have mine setup as well.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    He has a console connection to the 2511 and he is telnetting from there to the other routers. That's how I have mine setup as well.

dynamik,

Does that mean in order to see the router outputs he's going to have to use keyboard gymnastics to flip around to be able to see the various router outputs from a single terminal window?
  • Options
    Are you trying to give me a hard time or are you genuinely asking how this works?

It's just like I said. All you do is telnet to the other devices once you're consoled in to the 2511. When you set up your hostnames, it's really slick. I just type "r1" to go to my first router. Ctrl-Alt-6 + x to suspend the session and go back to the 2511. Then "r2" or whatever to the next device, etc.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Are you trying to give me a hard time or are you genuinely asking how this works?

It's just like I said. All you do is telnet to the other devices once you're consoled in to the 2511. When you set up your hostnames, it's really slick. I just type "r1" to go to my first router. Ctrl-Alt-6 + x to suspend the session and go back to the 2511. Then "r2" or whatever to the next device, etc.

dynamik,

Yes, I'm trying to understand how this works through the console port. My current experience with access servers is across the Internet using telnet to the IP address for the Ethernet interface and not directly through the Console port then telnet from there. The benefit I've noticed is that you can open multiple terminal telnet windows to each of the routers. Then let's say you configure a routing protocol on the first router in the first window then configure the same routing protocol on the second router in the second window, with the windows manually cascaded, you can see the logging messages of the two routers discovering each other as neighbors at the same time when you type the statement Router(config-router)#network x.x.x.x. It's kinda neat to see the routing protocol "come alive" at the same time in two separate windows. After you're done with having fun, you can cut & paste the scrollbacks into Notepad then save the "actual Cisco IOS output" from your experience and save the file for posterity. :)
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can log all your output with Putty to save all the cutting and pasting from a cmd window...