Options

CISCO Networking training acadamy

sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
How much weight is placed from actually enrolling in this vs. self-study?

Let me give you some background on me... I'm currently in I.T., doing tier 2 support, etc.... I want to "move on", so to speak.

I checked out the local community college and I see the totoal cost is about $3500 for it. I am wondering what opinions are on the class.

Comments

• Options
    JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    It really depends on how you like to learn. It's a class environment so that works better for some people, if you are self-motivated you can probably get it in a 1/4-1/2 of the time through self study.
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    JavonR wrote:
    It really depends on how you like to learn. It's a class environment so that works better for some people, if you are self-motivated you can probably get it in a 1/4-1/2 of the time through self study.

Thanks for the reply. I prefer the self-study route, but that's not what I was asking...

I'm wondering how much more weight (if any) a prospective employer would give someone who went to this acadamy vs. the self-study route. Know what I mean? Trying to figure out if the $$ is worth it or not.
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    I don't think it really matters, all you put on your resume is CCNA and maybe CCENT if you went the two exam route.

They end up giving you a test if they're really worried about it, since braindumpers are what they really worry about. They just end up caring if you actually know what to do, not how you learned it.
  • Options
    JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    sambuca69 wrote:
    JavonR wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I prefer the self-study route, but that's not what I was asking...

I'm wondering how much more weight (if any) a prospective employer would give someone who went to this acadamy vs. the self-study route. Know what I mean? Trying to figure out if the $$ is worth it or not.

Depends on the manager, I know where I work the self study route is much more encouraged. The IT manager here would give me a side along look and a say "You need to go to school for the CCNA!?" if I brought it up. Then again, other managers are different.
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    sambuca69 wrote:
    How much weight is placed from actually enrolling in this vs. self-study?

Let me give you some backgroung on me... curerntly in I.T., doing tier 2 support, etc.... I want to "move on", so to speak.

I checked out the local community college and I see the totoal cost is about $3500 for it. I am wondering what opinions are on the class.

sambuca69,

I believe my graduation from Semester 4 of the Cisco Networking Academy under the CCNA curriculum was a major factor why I was scheduled for a job interview with a Cisco Gold Partner company.