Options

The fastest way to refresh and integrate your knowledge

bigfootingrouterbigfootingrouter Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I've done a bit of research around, but there is still one piece missing and I hope you can help me planning successfully my study.

Short version:

What is in your opinion the best material for someone who is already knowledgeable about computers?

Long version:

I live in Italy and I'm in IT since more than 10 years. I started as a computer technician, assembling PCs, meanwhile I graduated in computer science and now work as a system administrator. The thing is my knowledge is a bit scattered and fragmented. As most sysadmin, I work with very tight schedule and often don't have the time to study a technology in depth. Usually I just have to make things work (I've no certification).

This is why I've looked around, searching for something that would refresh my skills and fill the missing pieces, all in a nicely organized way.

I want to start from the bottom, from CompTIA A+ and the build up working toward a better career. Reading the syllabus I understand there are still subjects I need to study, even if I probably already know most of the topics -- as looking at some video sample has confirmed. So, before starting to study, I'd like to collect the most useful resources for me. Live training is out of question because of time constraints and preference for self-study. Also, I'm not interested in memorizing ****, or just passing the exam. The exam is secondary right now. The goal is to refresh and organize my foundations.

I guess the questions are:

- Video or books?
- What specific product should I buy?
- Are there courses targeted to an experienced audience

Thanks a lot for reading.

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Short version:

Mike Meyers - ALL IN ONE A+
    Or
    Sybex
    or both.

LONG VERSION:
    You are WAY, WAY overthinking this.
    1. It's the A+ (likely the easiest certification to obtain).
    2. Download the objectives.....it's a 'basic' level exam...very broad but the texts above will cover the bulk of the material you need.
    3. If you interest is something deeper the hardware AND you already have a CS degree, why not simply move forward and start with your MCP or CISCO route?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Yeah, you probably right; too much thinking, time for the action now!

I've bought Meyer's book, thanks a lot for replying.
  • Options
    Before my order gets shipped I'd like to ask another question.

I've seen on Amazon this:

Mike Meyers' A+ Certification Passport, Third Edition (may 3, 2007), 674 pages, $20
    http://www.amazon.com/Mike-Meyers-Certification-Passport-Third/dp/0072263083

compared to

A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Sixth Edition (december 21, 2006), 1171 pages, $40
    http://www.amazon.com/Certification-All-One-Guide-Sixth/dp/0072263113

it seems a very good deal.

I took the time to compare a subject, using the "Look Inside" function: 5 pages about Windows boot troubleshooting (Objective 19.03). It's not a lot, just to get the feel, and I found the text is practically identical.

Because of this and looking at the table of contents it look like Passport has everything minus history and non-tech talk. Is this the case? What's the real difference between the two?

Passport is newer, cheaper, smaller, and complete. Too good to be true!

Please, if you have experience with both I would appreciate your feedback.
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    I have experience with both.

It is the same person, he's just reusing parts of his text so he doesn't have to type it again. The Passport exam is for the Essentials and IT tests only. So that's material for the 601 and 602 exams, and just the bare mininum - it covers the basics.

The All in 1 version of the book by McGraw Hill is complete for all 4 A+ Exams. There is even extra material that you wont find in the exam but was included because the author felt it useful in order to make you a better technician.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    Actually they are both by McGraw Hill, sorry.

The big thick brown one covers all 4 exams. You only need to pass two to have your A+.

Passport is good if you are already very familiar with the material and want to just take your basic A+ tests and go with Essentials and IT (601 & 602)
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • Options
    Oh, that makes sense, thanks !