Options

Connect 2 Laptops to Map a Drive

susuandmesusuandme Member Posts: 136
Hello Members,

I have two laptops, Laptop A is connected to the internet via my DSL wireless router.

Laptop B is also connected to the DSL wireless router. The name of the wireless connection is called: Home 1.

I would like to set up a small wireless home network between Laptop A and Laptop B,
so I can Map a drive and get access to files on Laptop B. How can I do this.
Also would like to share files between Lap A and Lap B this way as well. How can I accomplish this please.

Laptop A is running Windows XP, Laptop B, is running Vista. Can someone please give me step by step instructions on how to do this, since I've never attempted this before. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    amp2030amp2030 Member Posts: 253
    So from what I understand both computers see the internet but they don't see each other.

Are they in the same workgroup? If one has Vista, make sure its location is set to "Private" (in network and sharing center) and that discovery is on. Also, try temporarily disabling the firewalls if there are any (vista has it on by default), just to see if that's what causes problems.
  • Options
    pryde7pryde7 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    check the ip addresses used, then type them in as static addresses.
    create a workgroup with the two laptops. Forget about the internet for the moment.
    Share your drives and necessary folders.
    Be able to access both computers before worrying about internet connectivity.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They can both access the internet?

I'd start with testing basic connectivity. Find their IP addresses and try pinging each other. You might need to enable ICMP echo requests for your firewall (or just temporarily disable it). This is going to be fine if you have internet access, but it would be good to start getting in the habit of starting there when troubleshooting.

After that, create a folder, right-click, and go to Share... or Sharing and Security (depending on which OS you're sharing the folder from). Then you'll just need to enable sharing on the folder and set whatever permissions you want. If you're doing this from XP, you may need to disable simple file sharing in order to do things like set permissions. I believe that setting is in folder options.
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi

1. create a folder on laptop A, share this folder giving full control to everyone

2. go to laptop B, start - run, then type "\\ (name of laptop A) \ (name of folder on laptop A) then press enter, the sharded folder should open

any firewalls that you have will need to be closed prior to doin this

hope this helps

Lee H