Options

How would you handle this job offer?

So I interviewed for this position a month ago, beginning of October. http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=268010

After about 6 interview, 3 in person(HR, VP, Tech Director), 3 over the phone, the and a month and a half waiting I finally got a call.

The HR lady is a total b.i.t.c.h. During the interview process she told me to follow up and I did and she basically told me don’t call again, she’ll let me know when she had info. Bi-Polar much?

Last Tuesday she called saying they wanted to make an offer $52k. I was looking for $55, but I knew I was going to get lowballed, BUT instead of going full time it would be 90 day contract NO benefits AND no change in pay. So I would work for 90 days for about 25 an hour, then when they decided to go full in I would get benefits and the $52k salaried.

Personally, I don’t think she was actually making me an offer, she was just feeling me out.

So I said, “I was lead to believe that this was full benefits. That’s going to have me going 5 months with out health insurance(3 month contract and 2 month from start of salaried date for policy tot take effect) and I’ll have to be taking care of my taxes so I think some consideration should be afforded.”

In other words, I know the economy is shite, but it sounds like to me they’re trying to sleaze out of paying me the contract wage, and benefits, and tax issues for the same price. WTF?

Anyway, that was last Tuesday. She said she would be getting back to me and considering it took them a MONTH and a HALF to make an offer when they said they were looking to move quickly has me a bit peeved.

One of my friends said I should call them tomorrow and tell them that I need an answer and I have other considerations on the table. Which basically I don't want to do because A, I don't, and B, this economy SUCKS right now.

What would you guys do?

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd wait for her to call and just keep looking. I feel you on the no benefits thing because when you don't have them is when you'll need them. I have heard that a lot of companies are doing the contract to hire now a days. I talked to a friend of my dad's on the phone and he said they had help desk jobs open, but had been burned 3 times so they were doing contract to hire for now on. If their going to jerk you chain like they have though, I'd say forget them!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have the Tech Director's number, call him. I'm assuming thats going to be your manager/supervisor...so he should be the person you talk to about this situation. And let him get in touch with HR so everything can get handled properly.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    It doesn't look like they are in a hurry to fill the position, and it sounds like a lot of headaches. I would look elsewhere.

The economy may be slumping, but there are jobs to be had.

Be diligent (post your resume on the usual websites: Monster, Dice, Hot Jobs, Careerbuilder...) check craigslist and the websites of all of the major IT companies and IT contractors in your area, and check for local job fairs. Get in touch with friends and contacts, let them know you're looking and give them a copy of your resume, and even forward your resume to staffing firms and headhunters if you want. Check local newspapers.

BLAST yourself out there, spread your resume like wildfire... and then begin looking for individual jobs to apply to.
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    pwjohnston

dude are you working right now? do you have a job with benis?????

Yeah, been there dude with an IT job like that they want to pay you but all is in the air
    if you have a job in IT and you dont need it yet; i would say keep doingyour certs
    and wait abit till economy picks up I think it will with gas going down here to 2.20 a gallon
    holy crap is that awesome but if you have a job keep it cause yeah if something happens
    andyou thenyou owe hospitoal money. I just got a bill in th email for my son to see a urgent
    care doctor total time there 3 hours. total time dr looking at my son's knee 15 minutes tops
    and 1 10 minute X-ray!

Bill was for 587.00 usb for about 25 minutes of any kind of work now that is good money
    the other 3 hours waited and there was noone inthe lobby! icon_mad.gif

if i was your dad and i am not ;) but wait man if you can sounds like a wake job
    and after you are in there they might treat you likecrap; too scary to me.
    but if you young and single and got loads ofmoney maybe go for it but
    if youcannot get it in writing i woudlnttake it

my 2cents
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    pwjohnston wrote:
    So I interviewed for this position a month ago, beginning of October. http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=268010

After about 6 interview, 3 in person(HR, VP, Tech Director), 3 over the phone, the and a month and a half waiting I finally got a call.

The HR lady is a total b.i.t.c.h. During the interview process she told me to follow up and I did and she basically told me don’t call again, she’ll let me know when she had info. Bi-Polar much?

Last Tuesday she called saying they wanted to make an offer $52k. I was looking for $55, but I knew I was going to get lowballed, BUT instead of going full time it would be 90 day contract NO benefits AND no change in pay. So I would work for 90 days for about 25 an hour, then when they decided to go full in I would get benefits and the $52k salaried.

Personally, I don’t think she was actually making me an offer, she was just feeling me out.

So I said, “I was lead to believe that this was full benefits. That’s going to have me going 5 months with out health insurance(3 month contract and 2 month from start of salaried date for policy tot take effect) and I’ll have to be taking care of my taxes so I think some consideration should be afforded.”

In other words, I know the economy is shite, but it sounds like to me they’re trying to sleaze out of paying me the contract wage, and benefits, and tax issues for the same price. WTF?

Anyway, that was last Tuesday. She said she would be getting back to me and considering it took them a MONTH and a HALF to make an offer when they said they were looking to move quickly has me a bit peeved.

One of my friends said I should call them tomorrow and tell them that I need an answer and I have other considerations on the table. Which basically I don't want to do because A, I don't, and B, this economy SUCKS right now.

What would you guys do?

Much depends on your personal situation. If you really need this job some compromises may have to be made on your part. But if you are quite sure you were discussing a fulltime gig and now this has happened then if you can afford to pass it by move on but not before you ask for a change in the terms offered. If they up the salary and offer fulltime terms then they really want you. You may then have a difficult choice to make.

All things considered though it looks like this could be a difficult company to work for. Whenever possible hold out for a job on terms that are agreeable to you.