BCMSN Authorized Self-Study VS Official Exam Cert Guide

GrigsbyGrigsby Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey I was wondering, for anyone who recently passed the 642-812, is reading the Authorized Self-Study Guide required to pass this exam? I just finished reading the Official Exam Certification Guide, and then bought the Self-Study which goes into much more depth. It even has topics in there that is plainly says that are not on the exam.

Don't get me wrong, I love to learn about all this material, but is the Self-Study a required read? It's only 800 + pages icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    I passed the BCMSN in the last few weeks - mostly due to the official Cisco curriculum. The Exam Cert Guide is good, but I think it would be difficult to pass with just that material alone. I found the official curriculum to cover exam topics more comprehensively.

I'm not familiar with the BCMSN self-study guide, but I recommend going beyond the Exam Cert Guide if possible.

Best bet is the Cisco curriculum for the course, IMO.
  • GrigsbyGrigsby Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are you referring to the material for the Cisco Networking Academy? Or what is the title of the material you talking about.
  • GrigsbyGrigsby Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I assume that's what it was. I will try it out. I used the Authoized Self Study guide for the BSCI. It was a hard one to get through, and I felt like it was rather obtuse.
  • mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    I wish I could tell you if it is the same as the curriculum created for the Cisco Networking Academy.

I'm not certain, but I would guess they would be the same.

Any Cisco learning partner would use this material to teach the course.
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    The two books are designed to complement each other...

Self-study should be read first gain the fundamental knowledge.... Exam-cert guide helps get into the exam mindset..

I would love it if Cisco came up with self study books for all their exams as I think they a invaluable....... they provide awesome amount of theory to take in but it's all worthwhile in the end :)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP