Options

whoops..... Interview help

this was the first surprise......

I recently applied for a Network Supervisor Role and have been selected for interview..... a step up the ladder for me and I could say an almost reluctant one, but I will cross that bridge when I get to it.....

the second is I have this task to complete :-

"As part of the selection process you will be required to give a 5 minute paper presentation on the topic of “you are planning a core network upgrade, what factors would you take into account?”" "

So anyone got any pointers for a guy who doesnt like to talk........

I cant believe how nervous I am already lol
if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Unfortunately, the only way to become a good speaker is to practice. Obviously, like all skills, some will pick it up better and faster than others, but it still takes practice. My best advice would be to grab a book by Dale Carnegie "How to Win Friends and Influence People". The whole book is excellent, but if I recall there is a section on public speaking that beats all the other advice on public speaking hands down.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    cheers have ordered the book... not that im gonna get enough time to prepare for it... the interview is in just over a week.....

tbh im not that worried about talkin to folks... ive done some in the past in areas im strong on no worries.....

but given the subject matter and its pretty broad scope im thinkin more along the lines of making sure i dont miss anything......

I appreciate there gonna use this to try and identify any areas of weakness (amongst other things) so im trying to make sure i cover as many bases as possible....... and make sure ive got all things under consideration......
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Unfortunately, the only way to become a good speaker is to practice. Obviously, like all skills, some will pick it up better and faster than others, but it still takes practice. My best advice would be to grab a book by Dale Carnegie "How to Win Friends and Influence People". The whole book is excellent, but if I recall there is a section on public speaking that beats all the other advice on public speaking hands down.

The Art of Public Speaking by Dale Carnegie

Free ebook:
    http://manybooks.net/titles/carnegieda16311631716317-8.html
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It sounds like that public speaking game where they give you a random topic and you speak for 5 minutes about it. I consider myself lucky in that PowerPoint became huge when I was in High School and I gave a presentation at least twice a week for 4 years. Now I have no problems getting in front of a crowd and giving presentations. My advice, go in there, give a 100% leaving everything on the table, and you'll leave knowing you did your best. Good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    So anyone got any pointers for a guy who doesnt like to talk........

I cant believe how nervous I am already lol

I was a Comm major and did many many many presentations. Basic rules of thumb:

1) Tell them what you're going to tell them.
    2) Tell them.
    3) Tell them what you just told them.

Essentially, have an introduction that briefly highlights your major points. Go into
    the "core" of your presentation. Then wrap with a summary or the highlights of your
    major points.

Being nervous is understandable. Most people, if not all of them, will not notice.
    :)

Have a look around here:

http://www.toastmasters.org/
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Since it is part of the interview process, don't be thrown off if someone raises a question in the middle of your presentation, especially if they counter an idea you presented. I wouldn't be surprised if the presentation is designed to show how you work with a group rather than your technical abilities.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bwcarty wrote:
    Since it is part of the interview process, don't be thrown off if someone raises a question in the middle of your presentation, especially if they counter an idea you presented. I wouldn't be surprised if the presentation is designed to show how you work with a group rather than your technical abilities.

What he said, and they probably just want to see that you approach it somewhat intelligently, you may not necessarily come up with EVERYTHING to be taken into consideration.
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Is that the technical part of the interview? Either way talk in such a way everyone understands and simplify it. Always simplify everything until they ask you specifics then get technical.

If public speaking is the problem then the most important part of any interview/speech is looking people in the eye. Fine one person who you feel most comfortable with and put most your attention on them. Honestly before you go into the interview think this. "What is the worst than can happen? They say no and I never see them again?" In other words don't be afraid,, which is more easy said then done I know :)
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    well had my interview today..... not the best I've had but certainly by no means the worst...

the presentation was ok... bummbled at a few points but think I came through it ok, addressed there questions and comments well enough and hopefully clarified a couple of areas

fell over on a couple of stupid school boy errors, but put that down to nerves more than anything....

i should find out next week... though that said I actually dont think I'll be offered the role but was a good experience for next time and can make my approach a lot stronger....

cheers for the input guys much appreciated....
  • Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Don't write it off yet. I've gotten more offers from interviews I thought I fumbled away, than from interviews where I thought I'd aced it. Often they are looking for something other than your purely technical skills. In this case it's most likely your ability to communicate and organize. As the lead you will probably be expected to present business case type material to upper management in which you will need to be able to clearly communicate to them what it is you want to do (in layman's terms) and convince them that the cost is justifiable.

Good luck with it.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes