70-640 - Core Commands Problem!

BeerBellyBeerBelly Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi going through the book and installed Core 2008.

Changed the name fine but having real trouble configuring the netwotk connection (on Page 28 if anyone else has the books) - tried every combination of the command, but receive error message, also broken command down, but can' get passed the name part.

trying different combos of this:

netsh interface ipv4 set address name="Local Area Connection"

If leave blank after the name= it works, so ineffect have currently renamed my connection to [blank] - what syntax have I got wrong?

Its on a VM and the NIC is connected to the vm.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's not the entire command. Check this out: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738592.aspx#BKMK_1

Those aren't three separate lines, that's just the way they wrap on the page.

You need to enter:
    netsh interface ipv4 set address name="Local Area Connection" source=static address=10.0.0.12 mask=255.255.255.0 gateway=10.0.0.1 1

The "name" parameter must match what the network connection is named. That isn't used to set the name.
  • BeerBellyBeerBelly Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks - did type the entire string first, but will try again.

By default, isn't the connection called "Local Area Network" on a clean install of Core 2008 STD?
  • BeerBellyBeerBelly Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Think I know what it is.

VMTools didn't install properly.

Have just done a custom install only choosing drivers. Hopefully make adapt visible to Core (in ipconfig) - will then repeat command.

Cheers