Options

packet-tracer

samxdsamxd Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello there

I had a quick queston maybe someone can help me out.

I have my pc setup with an ip address of 199.9.10.1 with a mask of 255.255.255.240. Im trying to ping my router which i have connected using a cross over cable to the router port 0/1. Vlan1 on my router has an address of 199.9.10.4 with a mask of 255.255.255.240 and its state is UP. Im trying to ping the router but all 4 packets are lost, i can ping both of my other switches, but not my router. Any help?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Have you assigned an IP address to the router interface you're connecting to?
  • Options
    No, Are you saying that fast ethernet 0/1 on the router needs to be manually assigned with my pc ip address?
  • Options
    i only assigned an addres to the vlan interface for the router
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The router needs to have an IP address assigned to the fa0/1 port on the same subnet as your computers IP address (and of course make sure it's not shut down).

You don't need to assign an IP address to the routers vlan1, that's only necessary for switches because they are moving packets around based on MAC addresses (Layer 2) and they need some sort of logical address so you can telnet to them. Routers work based on IP addresses (Layer 3), and they're not going to accept packets in the interface if there is no IP address/network associated with it.

-Kale

(I'm not an expert on this stuff, so my reasoning may be slightly flawed, but I'm certain that you need to assign the port a address on the same network as your computer.)
  • Options
    ok thanks alot, im going to check this out now, ill see how it goes
  • Options
    thank you very much, it worked