Options

I made it! MCSE at last!

srcurriesrcurrie Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
I made it! MCSE at last!
After two years of work. a couple of thoasand dollars. Endless virtual machines and much work on our real network I am finally MCSE.

Now to upgrade the thing...

Comments

• Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Congrats
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good job!!!

Don't forget to update your profile.

The MCSE is like a new computer, the second you get the dang thing you need to upgrade it.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

I've been stuck at MCSA for too long...need to get 293, 294, and one of the design exams done ASAP.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations, and don't forget to update your profile with the new cert. :D

What order did you take the tests in, and which design and elective exams did you take?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    cnfuzzdcnfuzzd Member Posts: 208
    congrats!

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats, and good luck on the upgrades.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Congrats on the MCSE!!
  • Options
    1MeanAdmin1MeanAdmin Member Posts: 157
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Congratz :)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    ChippermarChippermar Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Big Congratz m8

Well done
  • Options
    Slowhand -

I did it in this order:

70-270 XP
    70-431 SQL Server 2005 (counts for both MCSA and MCSE)
    70-290
    70-291
    70-293
    70-294
    70-297

It took me almost two years. I am a Network Administrator and run a busy network. I get up at 5 am every day and go to Duncan Donuts before work to study. Then I actually work with the stuff in my normal work.

I took most of a year on MS SQL Server 2005. I was starting from scratch so everything was new on that. I actually ended up liking the product. I am a Perl programmer so earlier in my career I would have queried SQL with Perl. Now I know some Transact-SQL!

I used a variety of sources besides personal experience. I used all the O'Reilly MCSA/MCSE books. I used the MS Hands on Training for the 70-431 (5 star book) as well as took a course at our regional BOCES center. I also used videos from www.vtc.com.

I am pursuing CTT+ next. Also want to upgrade to Server 2008. Also I am doing some more Novell Linux certs and VMware certs.

My network is actually mostly Novell Netware/Linux with Windows servers sprinkled in. About 1000 nodes and 18 or so servers.

All my studies have had an effect on my job. I ended up solving a couple of AD issues all because of what I was studying. I now go right to things in the various utlities instead of hunting around. Its all in my head!!!!!
  • Options
    I forgot to mention that I also used VMware Server, Vmware Workstation (in Linux) and MS Virtual PC for some studying too.
  • Options
    amp2030amp2030 Member Posts: 253
    Congrats mate!!! Hope to join you next year :D
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    srcurrie wrote:
    Slowhand -

I did it in this order:

70-270 XP
    70-431 SQL Server 2005 (counts for both MCSA and MCSE)
    70-290
    70-291
    70-293
    70-294
    70-297

It took me almost two years. I am a Network Administrator and run a busy network. I get up at 5 am every day and go to Duncan Donuts before work to study. Then I actually work with the stuff in my normal work.

I took most of a year on MS SQL Server 2005. I was starting from scratch so everything was new on that. I actually ended up liking the product. I am a Perl programmer so earlier in my career I would have queried SQL with Perl. Now I know some Transact-SQL!

I used a variety of sources besides personal experience. I used all the O'Reilly MCSA/MCSE books. I used the MS Hands on Training for the 70-431 (5 star book) as well as took a course at our regional BOCES center. I also used videos from www.vtc.com.

I am pursuing CTT+ next. Also want to upgrade to Server 2008. Also I am doing some more Novell Linux certs and VMware certs.

My network is actually mostly Novell Netware/Linux with Windows servers sprinkled in. About 1000 nodes and 18 or so servers.

All my studies have had an effect on my job. I ended up solving a couple of AD issues all because of what I was studying. I now go right to things in the various utlities instead of hunting around. Its all in my head!!!!!

Congratulations. You have gone about it in a model way. Learning the theory and then looking at what you have at work seeing where you can put the learning into real world context. Reminds me of when I studied for my MCSE in NT 4.0 way back. Good luck with the Novell Linux certs, I will be looking at those later next year.
  • Options
    dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    Ah well done, thats a major achievement you have there, time for a few beers!
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • Options
    davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good Work!!! Upgrade ??? will it be hard??? I havent even touched Server 2008 yet...im scared...
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! It took me 2.5 so I understand how long that is.

GOOD Job. Whats next?