Options

RRAS Server question

gonzoflickgonzoflick Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am reading in MS Press that in order for remote clients to be able to access network resources beyond the RRAS server that Routing must be checked in the General server properties.

Here is the text

Use the following checklist to troubleshoot access to resources beyond the remote
access server:

■} Verify that the Router option is selected on the General tab of the server properties
dialog box.

I am confused here because I would think that as long as the RRAS server is providing the client with an IP address on the same subnet, and the client has been authenticated and authorized, they shouldn't have a problem hitting other network resources.

I thought this checkbox for routing was only used if I want this server to be a border server between two subnets.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How would traffic move beyond the RRAS server?
  • Options
    DragonNOA1DragonNOA1 Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    gonzoflick wrote:
    access to resources beyond the remote access server

The key is the word BEYOND. Same subnet as the user is fine, another subnet is not so fine :D
    The command line, an elegant weapon for a more civilized age
  • Options
    gonzoflickgonzoflick Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok two conflicting replies here? So as long as I'm heading to another server on the same subnet, I dont need to enable routing on my RRAS server? On the client if I check to use the RRAS server's default gateway, that would route my traffic to another subnet for me correct.

NOTE I'm speaking here of a RRAS server with a single NIC
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Read again, the replies were not conflicting. icon_cool.gif

Just curious why would you bother with an RRAS server with a single nic? RRAS implies routing and/or remote access, and from your setup it doesnt appear that you are doing either one.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Read again, the replies were not conflicting. icon_cool.gif

Just curious why would you bother with an RRAS server with a single nic? RRAS implies routing and/or remote access, and from your setup it doesnt appear that you are doing either one.

I have an RRAS server with only a single network card... It allows me to authenticate remotely.

Looking at the text of the original question it seems to be assuming we have an RRAS server in a DMZ with two network cards.