Options

Trying to get a Job with Geek Squad

edub2015edub2015 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm trying to get a job with the Geek Squad at best buy and I was wanted to know if anyone has worked with them before and could give me a heads up about the things I might need to know for the job. I am a CIS major and trying to build my resume. Can anybody help me?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's going to be as much, if not more, about sales than tech work. If I were you, I'd tried to get a position at your college.
  • Options
    skeet2331skeet2331 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Be a Salesmen and not a Tech. That is all they look for.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Aparently Geek squad has some seperate warehouse in Lousville, KY which everyone makes GREAt money and loves their job... It is like where they send computers when they can't fix them in the field?? Anyways, it was weird because I was talking to people here about Geek Squad and everyone was praising it.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edub2015 wrote:
    I'm trying to get a job with the Geek Squad at best buy and I was wanted to know if anyone has worked with them before and could give me a heads up about the things I might need to know for the job. I am a CIS major and trying to build my resume. Can anybody help me?

Probably a good place to start, but not to frown upon you could probably getaway with something else, I don't know if that being in my resume will really help with my "IT" career.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Geek Squad has a large number of roles, make sure you are applying for the right one.

I think I got the most from the experience and left with a great deal of knowledge.
    1) Data recovery
    2) Malware Removal
    3) Remote Assistance
    4) Hardware Diagnositc
    5) SOHO Networking
    6) Small Business Server
    7) Network Pritner setup
    icon_cool.gif Cash register setup
    9) Macintosh
    10) Some good softskills

And as much as people rip on the "sales" aspect of it, embrace it. Seriously. There is always room to improve your softskills and you can't ask for much at entry level.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I know people knock the sales part, but they really helped me in my IT Career. How much of IT is interacting with people? Being a sales person helps you with that a great deal because a lot of time it involves you walking up to a complete stranger, introducing yourself, and saying can I help you? Oh and that place you speak of is Geek Squad City. They do make a killing there!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    It's going to be as much, if not more, about sales than tech work. If I were you, I'd tried to get a position at your college.

basically...i had a work-study IT position my senior year in college. I was a tech/web designer in one of the computer labs my school had. pay was decent by college student standards. But um, yeah...Geek Squad is half about sales, half tech support. Yeah the sales part helps build up your customer service experience, and dealing with different types of pplz, but i think that Best Buy makes them push several products that users dont really need. i used to work @ best buy, so i know first hand. best buy really tries to push software & service plans on ppl, and i think that is not necessarily a good thing. if i was selling someone a laptop or a desktop and they didnt want the service plan, or any virus protection software, my manager would want me to send them to geek squad so they could push the same thing. alot of pplz would get annoyed by the fact that they went from the pc area to geek sqaud only to wait on line and be told about & asked the same thing.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)