Options

Connection Oriented and im not talking protocol

mitchellislearningmitchellislearning Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
hey all i live way out in bfe on a ranch again and as such im the resident techie. my newest prob is this... My buddy has just got some new patch thing for WoW but our HughesNets internet has too much latency and is unreliable. i want to have his dialup running while hes playing so that if the sat goes down the dialup can keep him from getting booted off. i tried bridging and it wont let me, i tried just having dialup connected but the computer uses dialup by default which is much to slow. any ideas?
The thread itself is weak, its the weave that makes cloth strong.

Comments

• Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Have you tried connecting the sat and dialup(even though it uses dialup by default) and disconnecting the dialup to see if satellite takes over? If it does, you have a redundant connection and can then work on changing the default route from the dialup route to the satellite route.
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Purchase a cheap dlink router. You can hook a serial connected external modem to the router and setup the interface to always dial a connection so you are always connected using the dialup, when the heartbeat is not detected by the LAN connection the dialup automatically takes presedence. I have used the dlink scenario for many small businesses that cannot afford an expensive solution and it works GREAT.

$110 for the router and $50 for an external U.S Robotics modem and your set!

Good luck