Options

EC-Council University

shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
Well I found this while browsing today and don't really know much about it but, apparently EC-Council offers a masters in security science http://www.eccuni.us/mss.htm. Does anyone know anything at all about this program or when EC-Council started offering degrees?

Dynamik maybe this could be what you were looking for :D

Comments

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Is it just me or is everything about the EC-Council feel like a Nigerian Prince just needs me to wire him some good faith money?
    -Daniel
  • Options
    rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    A friend of mine mentioned this to me a couple of months ago. Never bothered looking into it since I am already in school. This did start rather recently from what I understand. He is actually working on the Bsc from what I can remember.
  • Options
    rfult001 wrote:
    A friend of mine mentioned this to me a couple of months ago. Never bothered looking into it since I am already in school. This did start rather recently from what I understand. He is actually working on the Bsc from what I can remember.

Any idea what kind of accreditation they have in the degree aspect?
  • Options
    http://www.eccuni.us/aboutus.htm

Licensure and Accreditation
    EC-Council University is licensed by the New Mexico Higher Education Department. For more information, contact the New Mexico Higher Education Department at:

New Mexico Higher Education Department
    1068 Cerrillos Road
    Santa Fe, New Mexico USA 87505-1650
    1-505-476-6500
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It seems like an interesting program, but their inability to even snag a .edu doesn't instill me with too much confidence icon_eek.gif

Oh damn, I ruined the penguin avatar theme... icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Shun the non-believer! Shuuuun!
  • Options
    rfult001 wrote:
    Shun the non-believer! Shuuuun!

Dynamik you need to get with the program man....I think in good time this will be a great program for an infosec professional.
  • Options
    Hey man, feel free to drop out of your program and go for it. Let me know how it works out for you.

Hopefully this can redeem me:
    drunktux.jpg
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    $300 per credit/hr is pretty steep..actually, ridiculously steep. I'm not the type to attend a regular university, so this would be something I'd be interested in..if it didn't break the bank.

+1 to the comment about their status as a reputable university without a .edu. They may have plenty of competent professionals, but being a university is a different world altogether. I've seen some pretty shady institutions gain accreditation, so that doesn't say much.
  • Options
    Mrock4 wrote:
    $300 per credit/hr is pretty steep..actually, ridiculously steep

For grad level course work? That's extremely cheap I'm paying 670/credit for my masters, and I know places far more then that. I applied at Carnegie Mellon it was 375/unit when each 12 week course was 12 units...you do the math.
  • Options
    shednik wrote:
    Mrock4 wrote:
    $300 per credit/hr is pretty steep..actually, ridiculously steep

For grad level course work? That's extremely cheap I'm paying 670/credit for my masters, and I know places far more then that. I applied at Carnegie Mellon it was 375/unit when each 12 week course was 12 units...you do the math.

That's not for grad-level coursework. Read the page. It's $450/credit hr for grad level, $300/credit hr for BSc. That's expensive, considering if you go to college in-state you could be paying half of that.

And comparing this place to Carnegie Mellon is hardly fair. They're accredited by the state of New Mexico..come on.
  • Options
    Mrock4 wrote:
    That's not for grad-level coursework. Read the page. It's $450/credit hr for grad level, $300/credit hr for BSc. That's expensive, considering if you go to college in-state you could be paying half of that.

And comparing this place to Carnegie Mellon is hardly fair. They're accredited by the state of New Mexico..come on.

You're right about the prices for BSc and MS I mis-read it...I still think by credit its not bad once it takes off it will be well worth it i think.
  • Options
    Definitely. If it does well, it might not be a bad idea. Check out places like Full sail. I'd love to go to a school like that where I'd be interested in the coursework. I guess it's just a matter of passing the test of time. Only problem is, I don't got much time!
  • Options
    Mrock4 wrote:

I wish! U of M is up to $326.92/credit. It was about $185 six years ago (if I remember right). Only two classes to go...
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    now that's very interesting ! when am I gona have MCs..I should really come to the US
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    dynamik has redeemed himself :D

I am paying around $280 / credit hour for my MS with in-state tuition. Compared to University of Miami (where my wife is currently attending icon_redface.gif ) $450/credit hour is pretty good.
  • Options
    rfult001 wrote:
    dynamik has redeemed himself :D

I am paying around $280 / credit hour for my MS with in-state tuition. Compared to University of Miami (where my wife is currently attending icon_redface.gif ) $450/credit hour is pretty good.

WOW I feel like I'm getting ripped off at 678/credit at the University of Pittsburgh, and its in-state. You don't even want to see their out of tuition rates they are insane.

Also rfult001, I'm curious which university are you doing the tele masters in? I know there are only a few universities in the US offering one. I wanted to see how mine compares to yours :D
  • Options
    Florida International University

http://it2.fiu.edu
  • Options
    Shed, that was undergrad. We're $870.50 per graduate credit. Feel better?
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Shed, that was undergrad. We're $870.50 per graduate credit. Feel better?

Maybe its a northerner thing we have to be more expensive I guess...NSU is cheap to at 500/credit for grad school in F.t Lauderdale, FL