Help. Difference between physical interface and controller?

bmoneybmoney Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm confused about the difference between a physical interface, such as Serial0/0/0 and a T1 controller, such as T10/0/0, and the relationship between the two. For example, based on the sample config below, I see the T1 controller config, and the Serial interface, which is configured with an associated subinterface, but my question is; how are the T1 controller and Serial interface tied together? What in the config links the two?

controller T1 0/0/0
framing esf
linecode b8zs
channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24

interface Serial0/0/0:0
no ip address
ip flow ingress
ip flow egress
encapsulation frame-relay IETF
no fair-queue
frame-relay traffic-shaping
max-reserved-bandwidth 100
!
interface Serial0/0/0:0.111 point-to-point
bandwidth 1544
ip address <ipaddr> 255.255.255.252
no ip redirects
no ip unreachables
ip accounting output-packets
ip flow ingress
ip flow egress
logging event subif-link-status
frame-relay class <classname>
frame-relay interface-dlci 111 IETF

Comments

• bmoneybmoney Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • 19triskelion6819triskelion68 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    T1 controller is the modular T1 card on the router that takes the place of a CSU/DSU. You can channelize this card into how many timeslots(1-24, 64K per) you want to use. The T1 line plugs directly into this card. As to the serial(WAN) interface, this connects to an external CSU/DSU for FR access, PPP or HDLC. Hope this brief explanations helps.
    PRIMUM NIL NOCERE. First of all do not harm, let alone in defense of self, for whatever reason man has come into being, for whatever reason he exist, to whatever he is destined, keen to all living creatures around him, man is brother unto man.
  • bmoneybmoney Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks 19triskelion68. That helps.