Options

Anyone good with codec issues??? Winamp crashes, no error

pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
Ya know I’ve been running winamp since at least 99/2000 ish and I have NEVER had the problems I’ve had lately.

First off is there any sort of error log file I can look at when winamp crashes to troubleshoot? I can find no errors in windows application event viewer.

A few weeks ago I decided to upgrade. I think I was running 5.35 and had been bugged to upgrade to 5.541 and I finally did it. That’s when the **** hit the fan. On video files I started having sound clipping issues, video playback is fine but the audio is shite. It’s like a Merzbow album, ok maybe not that bad.

So I messed around and many places said “don’t install any codec’s you don’t need and stay away from codec packs. I needed a reinstall anyway so I just did it.

Reinstall XP. Reinstall winamp with the 5.35 version. Reinstall DIVX from their website DivX Community Codec 6.8.5, and everything ran PERFECT except this one avi. Somewhere I found I needed to get FFDshow. So I found this version ffdshow_rev610_20061201, installed same issue. Somewhere else said in the FFDshow video config to turn the H.263+ from libvacodec to disabled. That worked and everything worked great for a while.

So today I dl’d this avi and it CRASHED my winamp. WTF? I messed around for a bit and the AVI will play in my VLC Media Player, but the audio is clipping.

Somehow I remember that I use to use the K-Lite codec pack back when everything worked. So I go out and get the klcodec431 Standard. No luck. Upgraded to 5.541, no change.

Gspot says for any file I drop in that I have the codec and everything is good.

Performed a Windows system restore back to yesterday when everything was working fine, no change.

PLUS all my music files, mp3’s are clipping and crashing winamp. I know how to rip a cd and I know all my music files are good. So it has to be a software or dll somewhere.

Somewhere someone suggested that video codec dll conflicts can screw up my system and corrupt my registry. I have codec_sniper, but I'm afraid to start pulling things out. Is it really that bad that to play a video file I have to freaking back up my registry before I install a new codec???

This all started after I upgraded my winamp. I currently have installed:

Winamp 5.541
VLC Media Player 0.9.4

k-lite codec pack 431 standard
DivX Player 6.8.2
DivX Community Codec 6.8.5
DivX Web Player 1.4
DivX Converter 6.6.1 (15-day trial)
DivX Pro Codec 6.8.5 (15-day trial)

Am I going to have to reinstall my OS again and start getting my software from http://www.oldversion.com/?

Comments