Options

2007 update?

antivirus6613antivirus6613 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I started studying for the A+ essentials and IT tech exams 1.5 years ago, but slowly my motivation diminished. Now I want to get certified. I read through all 1500 pages of my A+ 2006 in depth exam guide by Jean Andrews and have most of the stuff down.

I went to schedule my exam with prometric and vue and they both ask me to make a login, which I am a little hesitant to do because I don't know which one testing company to pick, and when would be the earliest I could take it. I am in MI.

Also my biggest concern is that the book is written for the 2006 exam and I have read that they updated it to 2007. What are the primary differences?

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    1. Pick either Prometric or Vue. Doesn't matter, they merely proctor the exam and provide a safe, neutral exam enviroment. YMMV in your area as to which is better, but overall they should be equal.

2. The objectives are current as of 2006, you need to pick the Essentials and one of the three elective choices (doesn't particularly matter, though most pick the one most applicable to the work they do)

3. I don't particularly like the Andrews book, but others have used it. Meyers and Sybex are the two most recommended and they have a proven track record for content and accuracy, though regardless of the book you select (and it is recommend you use at least 2 sources), your experience and understanding of the objectives is what matters most.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Thanks. I have the Cliff notes test book with 9 practice tests so in conjunction hopefully I will do fine.

Do you know how often they have the exam ( weekly? monthly?) ?

Also someone told me it is done via computer, is that true?
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Thanks. I have the Cliff notes test book with 9 practice tests so in conjunction hopefully I will do fine.

Cliff notes suck. And taking practice tests are only beneficially to assess your skills before you study the material and after you feel you understand the material before you take the test. Merely taking practice test after practice test.....not the way to learn the material. You do what you think works. This method of study will hurt you as you progress through the exams.

Do you know how often they have the exam ( weekly? monthly?) ?
    Depends on your testing center. You'll need to look at their website and see what is available on the schedule.

Also someone told me it is done via computer, is that true?
    icon_scratch.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Yeah, my friend told me you take the test on the computer and it gives you an instant readout of your scores.

Anyways, thanks for the good advice. I might be purchasing one more book to learn from, or maybe I will save my money for the next exam :D .
  • Options
    Alright I just passed the essentials and the IT tech exam this morning !!!

I initially scheduled 601 and then after passing I went and scheduled 602 and since there was a computer open I took it a few minutes afterwards.
  • Options
    whitespiderwhitespider Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow. Fast. How much difference did you see between the two? I passed 601 with an 845 and am not sure what exactly to 'memorize' or brush up on. I think i'm well rounded and dont want to study anything that may be useless (oh god, i dont want to remember all the speed and cache sizes etc of every processor after the pentium)
    Essentials passed on 12/19/08 - scored 845
    Studying for IT (602)