Options

HDSCP

evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
Anyone here use Hitachi SAN and NAS products? I would like to build a network of professionals to discuss things with as it is a bit hard to find Hitachi SAN professionals. As for certification, I have been using Hitachi for my SAN and NAS needs for a few years now and I am finally going to pursue a certification. I will be taking a class in Feb. and then I will try for the HDSCP.
"You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We are going to end up having

Dell EMCs
    Hitachi SAN
    3par

for all of our SANs... I haven't messed with it before however. Good luck on getting the cert.

Sep 12, 2007 is the last time you posted! Get in and chat with us! You seem like you could provide some information. :)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Thanks. I will try to be more active here in the forums.
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
  • Options
    A co-worker and I attended the Hitachi THI0515 course on the modular storage arrays and I passed the HDSCP exam yesterday. Overall, we were very satisfied with the course. The class size was small so we received a lot of individual attention. The course covered storage options for the Hitachi modular storage platform including the SAN we use and the new ones released in December along with several key software applications that work with the SAN for management, replication, tuning, etc. We had several goals going into the training and we achieved them. (1) We wanted to be able to better utilize the storage investment we have made. (2) We wanted to become certified in the product. (3) We wanted to gain a better understanding of the technology so that we can make more informed storage decisions.

We learned a number of things that we plan to put into practice in our own storage environment to better utilize our SAN investment.

In the training we learned a lot about replication both within the system and between multiple arrays. This will be very helpful in differentiating between future replication options. Of particular interest was tiered storage. We learned how Hitachi can migrate data from high speed disks to lower speed disks automatically based on how often data is accessed. The main advantage of tiered storage is that it can provide clients with faster access to their data using a mixture of drive types and speeds. The cost of providing fast access to the data would be a fraction of the cost to host all data on fast disks but it would have almost the same feel to the clients because the migration of data is done on the back end based on their use of the system. There are a variety of other vendors that offer tiered storage solutions that work with Hitachi products. Hitachi requires various hardware and software upgrades for it all to work which can get expensive quickly.

Most of the course content was on the SAN but we were pleasantly surprised to find that there was some content on the Essential NAS. The discussion on the Essential NAS was basic but it did help place the product within Hitachi’s overall strategy and it helped us understand the NAS role and possible integration options better.

I made a study guide out of my notes. You can find it at Scholarly Portal