Options

Internship Help

Shiz StainShiz Stain Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
Wazz Uppp,

Just a few days ago my teacher told my friend and I to get an internship once we finish the 1st semester of class. Yeah I know its only two of us in a class for 3hrs a day because thats our major ( idk why no one else joined) and we were online looking for places to do one at. We looked at Best Buy's Geek Squad, We called a few computer places, and we managed to called Circuit City where we almost landed the internship but they said they would have to pay us and we said nah we can work for free or pay us 1$/hr, but it didn't work.

So does anyone else know where we can try to land an internship in the St.Louis area? We are now learning about networking and trying to get the Network+ Cert. but we also know how to build a computer, troubleshoot it, and repair( also trying to get A+ cert).

So can anyone here recommend some companies that we could possibly look for? We tried college and other places but no luck. If all else fails im just going to post flyers around the neighborhood and offer to fix peoples pc's for free, that sounds good(because I've been doing it for 4yrs now, fixing neighbors and family's, friends pc's free of charge).

If you can help us out it would be highly appreciated

Comments

• Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    does your school offer any help with internships??

If you're on your own, you can find ads or internship jobs (some paying, some not) on craigslist, monster, dice, etc. They're harder to find, but they're out there. I'd steer away from big box tech shops and look more at private companies - call 'em up or fax them or email them and see if they'd like some free labor. Many places would jump at a shot to have a free helper or two in exchange for sharing some knowledge. St Louis is a big place, so there should be lots of techy companies you can contact, OR you can also contact the tech department at non-techy companies and see if their sys/network admin could use some help. Use your family/friend contacts and get the word out through them too - start networking (and I don't mean in the techy sense) and you can probably have some pretty good success.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    With the username Shiz Stain, maybe apply to do IT work for a janitor company? :D
  • Options
    The school doesn't offer any help its public skooling. Our equipment isnt the best but the computer we built was nice its just the fact that we can't use the new fancy stuff other skools can but I can understand why since there's only two of us.

I will start looking at monster like you said and maybe some hospitals?

Thanks, if you have more suggestions it would help.

I just have one question though about the A+ I have this A+ book
    "A+ Certification Passport, Third Edition May 2007 by Micheal Myers"

Is it any good? and how long would you recommend I read it? Like read it once and go over stuff I don't understand or read it twice? Any advice would be nice to have
  • Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Read it at least once all the way through. Take the practice questions at the end and re-read any sections where you had trouble with the questions. Take a look at the practice exam questions on this site and I'd recommend looking at the tech tips as well.

Also look at small to mid size businesses. At my last company we had two different interns that worked for free on a part time basis for work credit at school. You most likely will want to contact the HR department directly and explain what you are looking for. The key is to convince the HR department that you are doing this for work credit for school and that you are knowledgable enough to not be a liability to the company. And by no means limit yourself to techy business, in fact you may have more luck with more traditional types of business that are used to hiring people with little to no experience and providing them with on the job training.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Options
    Ah ok thanks. What is the HR department though? Sorry I don't know not from America. So the "techy" places would be retail stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, and CompUSA for example? Or is it something else and I need to stay away from those places?

When I do call the HR department i tell them I worked with my neighbors and friends computers and say I have 4yrs experience fixing them, repairing them, and making them sexier (lmao). And that Im in a computer major at skool for 3yrs a day learning to network and fix network/pc problems.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Shiz Stain wrote:
    Ah ok thanks. What is the HR department though? Sorry I don't know not from America. So the "techy" places would be retail stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, and CompUSA for example? Or is it something else and I need to stay away from those places?

When I do call the HR department i tell them I worked with my neighbors and friends computers and say I have 4yrs experience fixing them, repairing them, and making them sexier (lmao). And that Im in a computer major at skool for 3yrs a day learning to network and fix network/pc problems.

HR is human resources dept, they are the ones who usually handle the hiring process.

and i think you should stay away from the retail stores, and go for a corporate internship. definitely search monster, careerbuilder, craigslist, indeed, and other job board. in the search put in the type of internship you want, whether its desktop support, programming, web development, etc.

i'm also going to assume that you're looking for an internship for the summer months, and not this coming spring semester, right? You definitely want to start looking for internships now...dont even wait til the end of this semester. Internships are highly competitive, and those who start early usually fair better than those who wait.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    Ah ok thanks for the help. Once I find a place I will inform you guys telling you how it went. I just need this internship from January-May and then im done. Thinking about attending Ranken after high school for 2yrs or maybe Fontbonne, still not sure what I wanna do with my life lol