Has anyone given up their DS or PSP for the iPhone?

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
Apparently Apple's big hardware guy, Greg Joswiak (aka "Jaws"), thinks that the iPhone is superior to, and will replace, both the DS and PSP (article: Apple Exec: Nintendo DS, Sony PSP Are 'In the Past').

But it's not because the iPhone has more functionality or better graphics. It's because the Apple iStore distribution method is something that neither Sony or Nintendo have for their gaming platforms. Having more games on demand and getting them faster (and cheaper) is supposedly the key to success.

So, does anyone here have a DS or PSP that's gathering dust since they got an iPhone?

Comments

• kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well I have an Iphone 3g and it was so boring and I am not going to pay for games on it from applestore So I jailbroke it with the latest firmware and now its a little bit better. I now have a emulator for nes, genesis, and snes on it so its not so bad now. When it comes down to gaming though I would much rather have the other two though. I just dont see the point of buying either though cause I dont play portable games only computer games. That guy from Apple is an idiot and like most people from apple he thinks that apple products are far superior to anything on the market in any catageory. This is coming from someone who owns and Iphone, macbook pro, and a mac mini. They make good product no doubt about it but get off your power trip Apple.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I don't see either the DS or PSP going the way of the dodo unless the iPhone gets large quantities of consistently superior content. I have a DS and won't be getting an iPhone. My DS doesn't get much use lately, though I did just get Rune Factory 2 for it. There is a plus to the distribution method but we haven't really seen steam knock out retail store distribution either.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    SOny psp??? ha! what a load that was! my gf bought me one...cost nearly £300 ($600) at the time of realise.

Biggest waste of money ever. should of got the 360 at the time - eventually i did and forked out for it...this was before the ps3. SOny just didnt produce the goods - looks like its been forgot about too nowadays. It had some great potential but in true sony style over the last few years it looks like theyve gone bellyup at times.

imo the ds has a better range of games than the psp however the psp was superior in terms of graphics. However i believe that these cant and will not replace the console / pc platform.

As for the iphone ive only had a brief stint on a racing game where you just move the phone. Can you actually play games where you need to use normal keys like on a PS / xbox remote? without tapping the screen in weird ways?

EDIT: anyway is apple not just trying to cause a hype like always and ride on the back of that? i read recently that theyve only sold around 10-15 million iphones? is this true? quite small in a market where hundereds of millions of phones are manufactured each year.

Have to admit i like the iphone though but i just think apple are always rip off merchants. Like for example why didnt they put 3g in the original release? its been round a few year now. why hasnt it got video etc etc. Same goes for other companies too - they just charge you a fortune then bring it out in the version 12 months later.

i was looking for a 3g iphone for its going for £350 without contract or £45 a month for 18months icon_eek.gif Couldnt believe it!!!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I have a PSP gathering dust due mostly to the iPhone. Now, I mostly used the PSP for trips or when I knew I'd be sitting somewhere with nothing to do. In my case, the PSP was gathering dust, then it would get wiped off every now and then. After purchasing an iPhone, the PSP is gathering dust and the dust is staying there.

Sony has a system for downloading games and movies for the PSP, but the interface sucks and their browser is not easy to use. It really does feel like they just implemented all the features without doing any QA testing, whatsoever. It's not fun and it's more of a hassle than anything. I have a large collection of PSP movie discs and won't be getting rid of them anytime soon. Because of the collection, I'll still be using the PSP for vacations in addition to the movies I can load on the iPhone. However, the PSP still won't be getting dusted off other than for vacations unless they improve their interface. I could be pulled back if they made it fun, but it's Sony...I doubt that will happen.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't think the iPhone lends itself to games well. I'm sure it'll have some good casual games, and things like Monkey Ball that make use the motion sensitivity, but the lack of physical buttons, joysticks, d-pads, etc. will prevent development of more complex games. Losing screen real estate for buttons/controls on a small device like that really limits what you can do. I think Apple will gain a respectable amount of market share, and the PSP and DS will implement or improve their online offering. I really think this is comparing apples and oranges.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    I don't think the iPhone lends itself to games well. I'm sure it'll have some good casual games, and things like Monkey Ball that make use the motion sensitivity, but the lack of physical buttons, joysticks, d-pads, etc. will prevent development of more complex games. Losing screen real estate for buttons/controls on a small device like that really limits what you can do. I think Apple will gain a respectable amount of market share, and the PSP and DS will implement or improve their online offering. I really think this is comparing apples and oranges.

Do you think it will be possible for apple to implement the "usual" joypad function into the iphone? Possible using the touch screen? That would be pretty cool. Duno how you would go about that though. Or you could have something to attach on both ends of the phone i guess so it became psp like and have actual buttons etc. **both now copyrighted by nel** :D
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, I think it would take something like that if they wanted to go after hardcore gamers. I think there's room for both. If you're going to sit down and game for awhile, you're going to go with a full-blown gaming device. I really don't see a Final Fantasy game, or something like that, showing up on the iPhone in the near future. On the other hand, most people won't carry another device around with them just in case they have a 10-15 minute wait and want to kill some time.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I've seen the usual joystick function implemented with the touchscreen on the iPhone. It makes a very light outline of the usual buttons you'd see on a controller and works similar. It's a bit weird to get used to, but it apparently can be done.
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    meh, the iPhone needs a larger library of games before they can make that claim. PSP and DS have a pretty vast library, especially the DS which is a monster in terms of gaming content.

Chrono trigger DS comes out next week, just a reminder. :D
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680