Options

Passed!

VercianVercian Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all!

I've been silently "stalking" the forums here for the past week or two while I prepared for the cert test, but hadn't found a need to post until now! I passed with a 936/1000. I have no *real* experience with XP, other than using it for about a decade. I'm 19 (and, matter of fact, turn 20 in a few days), and I took the cert because of the college I'm attending. They gave us a shot at it after finishing course study in Windows XP.

So, I suppose you can say I did have a good deal of hands on in preparation (not to contradict myself above, I just mean that I don't have any experience in the field!). I studied extremely hard starting a month before the exam, while we were still cranking through our XP labs and book.

Exam Cram was where it was at, as was the tech notes!! Thank you guys so much for posting those!!!

As far as advice that I can give... I honestly found the test to "feel" hard, but not as hard as I was afraid it would be. Just study as well as you can, and when you take the test, be sure to really read the questions. On a few of them that I had marked for review, I spent a good 10 - 15 minutes with the "whiteboard" pad they gave me, writing everything down from the scenario. I then eliminated the answers I knew just had to be wrong from re-reading the question a few dozen times, and then finally bit the bullet.

Seriously, don't worry about time, but make sure you USE it, if you're not sure. That will save you, I guarantee it! Upon going back over the questions I had set aside, I *knew* after I thought the scenario through that I had initially chosen a wrong answer and knew without a doubt of the right answer.

Good luck to all who take it!!!! I also apologize if my English at all is off haha, still extremely happy I passed!!

-Vercian
A+ Certified, MCITP:SA, MCSA:M, CCNA
Currently pursuing: CCNP

Comments

• Options
    Kevin10686Kevin10686 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats...what's next?
  • Options
    VercianVercian Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, as far as self study goes, I don't know. Our college gives us a shot at the A+ next semester, as well as the CCNT (I think that's the acronym! I've had my head buried in my Exam Cram book too much to know anything else haha!). Third semester we either head for a straight Microsoft track or go split between that and Cisco. If you go Cisco at all you test at the end of that semester for the CCNA. For Microsoft you head for the server and exchange I believe.

I personally like the Cisco feel to everything, from the little we've been introduced to. Subnetting, switches, etc... It's all a lot less mind numbing than the Microsoft tests and procedures.

If I do choose to self study though over winter break, I've seen a lot of people talking about 70-290 after their 270, which is Server I assume. We take it next year (third or fourth semester) at college though, which incorporates a lot of hands on experience through labs (I would assume). So I may hold off for now and just enjoy the winter break.

-Vercian
    A+ Certified, MCITP:SA, MCSA:M, CCNA
    Currently pursuing: CCNP
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Congrats on the pass, that's a pretty good score. Yes, the 290 next since it also deals a lot with the same stuff like NTFS, share permissions, Backups, ect...

Welcome to the forums!
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)