Go back to MCSA or continuing to MCSE

murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
What's going on board? I wanted to know, would it be a good idea to just go back to the MCSA books and keep studying those until I get a job dealing with those technologies then move onto MCSE? Or just continue the MCSE path? Trying to see which one is the better deal. I work in a web host environment and all the MCSA/MCSE/complex network technologies are there but my particular department really just deals with server hardware and its time to move out the department and move on, but I really don't have the day to day MCSA real world experience, just a sometime do those technology thing, and just want to keep growing with my skills, money and positions. I like my job and like the environment I am in, but I really don't get to touch the environment unless its dealing with if I have a problem with the hardware then I have to consult with the Windows and Unix Admins buts that's it. But right now i haven't really been studying with nothing cause of the question above.

lata
Next up
CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
ITIL Intermediate Service Operations

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Just for the exposure benefits it will give your resume I would recommend studying up on the MCSE topics and go get the MCSE. You'll gain experience during the labs you're working on plus it could help you move into a job that will get you that real world MCSA/MCSE experience. In a perfect world you would be able to get a MCSA level job with an MCSA and gain that experience then start getting experience for your MCSE and then get an MCSE level job. Unfortunately since this world is far from perfect most jobs are requesting an MCSE even though the level doesn't require it. Now it certainly is possible to get into one of those jobs without an MCSE but the bar to entry will be extremely high. Getting an MCSE before getting that experience will lower the entry bar significantly. Then you'll get your experience and it will make it even easier to move onto the next position.

Anyhow, summary of post, go for that MCSE and then knock those employers' socks off!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    What certifications do you currently have?

I would go for your MCSE. Along the way you will pick up your MCSA anyways (assuming you don't already have it). When looking for a job, your MCSE will show way better on your resume. That's a huge buzzword for HR. Unfortunately the MCSA is not very recognized by most HR people, since they have no idea what it is.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I would have to agree with the previous posts. I would continue your studies for your MCSE. The knowledge you will pick up along the way could potentially help you on the interview.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply's. Greatly appreciate it. Oh NetAdmin I currently hold A+, Net+, Inet+, MCTS: Vista, and MCSA.

thanks yall.
    Next up
  • jetfanjetfan Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am currently pursuing my MCSE, this was a really helpful thread, thanks guys
  • murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, very helpful. Thanks ULWiz and NetAdmin2436
    Next up
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    No problem. I would definately continue your studies for the MCSE. This year alone i took the Network+, MCTS Vista Exam and just recently took the Server 290 Exam. I already have my A+ so at this point i only have 291 left for my MCSA.

For some reason i have decided to go CCENT next and plan on taking that in a few weeks and then go back to 291 and finish my MCSA. Then i think i am going to either finish my CCNA with the last test left or finish my MCSA.

You should definately finish the MCSE though. Its respected more that the MCSA and therefore should be a goal to hit if you plan on landing a decent job in the IT field. Since you gain the MCSA along the way its a win win situation either way you slice or dice it.

The MCSA is a great first step and will be a big accomplishment when you finally finish it.

I wish you the best of luck on your adventure and hope you keep us posted on your progress
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress