Options

Moral Dilemma

AberdeenAngusAberdeenAngus Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been working with a company for over 2 years and support about 1700 end users.

There are two desktop support technicians, myself and another who is a contractor.

Up until recently, we had separate offices and went about our daily work, we sometimes work together, sometimes separately, depend what needs doing.

We have since shared the same office - the last few months has been an eye-opener for me.

My colleague spends much of the day on youtube, dating sites, computer based traing etc., when there is work to do and the workload is not shared. I get lots of e-mail with work requests but because they are not on "his" list he considers them low priority.

I have a dilemma, would you:

1) have a word in his ear-hole with regards sharing workload.

2) Do Nothing

3) have a word with my line manager

4) have a word with the contractor's manager

I've ruled out Options 2 and 4 in my mind, so far.

Comments

• Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    3) = win

Can he just fire the contractor ;)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd speak with him directly. If that doesn't work then go to management.

The last thing you want is to get yourself in trouble because the work is not getting done.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I agree, try talking with the tech first...and if you get nowhere, then move on to talking to your manager. But if you don't feel like you will be well received when you talk to the contractor, or if you're uncomfortable, then go right to talking to your manager. Technically, unless you're in some sort of management role, it's not up to you to address personnel issues (which is what I think this would fall under) so there's nothing wrong with going to your manager first if you want to go that route.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    skrpune wrote:
    I agree, try talking with the tech first...and if you get nowhere, then move on to talking to your manager. But if you don't feel like you will be well received when you talk to the contractor, or if you're uncomfortable, then go right to talking to your manager. Technically, unless you're in some sort of management role, it's not up to you to address personnel issues (which is what I think this would fall under) so there's nothing wrong with going to your manager first if you want to go that route.

Hence what I said above.
  • Options
    nangananga Member Posts: 201
    3...talk to your manager in the diplomatic words asking him if u get that guy to share some work since your plates are full
  • Options
    Would you want one of your coworkers going straight to the manager if they didn't agree with what you were doing?

I'm sure you would rather them come to you first if there was an issue, I know I would. You should also give your coworkers the same respect you would expect in the work place.
  • Options
    JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    Would you want one of your coworkers going straight to the manager if they didn't agree with what you were doing?

I'm sure you would rather them come to you first if there was an issue, I know I would. You should also give your coworkers the same respect you would expect in the work place.

I whole heartily agree with this. If the co-worker doesn't like what you have to say, then take it to management.
  • Options

if it were a matter of my work being not quite up to par or a slight disagreement with my methodology, then I'd agree with you 100% and I'd want my coworker to come talk to me first before "tattling" to management. But this slacker is, well, being a slacker and is not pulling his weight, so there's a deeper problem here. This guy's actions (or lackthereof) are speaking volumes - his level of (dis)respect for the workplace by lolly-gagging all day is pretty clear.

• Options
    But is he really a "co-worker" being that he is a contractor?
  • Options
    gorebrush wrote:
    I'd say yes...we can split hairs & say that he's not a co-employee, but co-worker would still apply in my opinion. If you are (or in this case, should be) working together toward a common goal for a common customer, then I say you're co-workers.

• Options
    skrpune wrote:
    gorebrush wrote:
    I'd say yes...we can split hairs & say that he's not a co-employee, but co-worker would still apply in my opinion. If you are (or in this case, should be) working together toward a common goal for a common customer, then I say you're co-workers.

Looking at it that way, I agree with you.
  • Options
    It may just be something that has stuck from my time in the military but I believe all problems should be resolved at the lowest level. If that doesn't work then go up the chain but only after making an attempt to solve the issue on your own level.

When I was supervising and someone came to me with a problem they had with another individual the first thing I would ask is if they have brought it up with that person first and if so what was the outcome.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but a dispute about the division of the work load is something that should be able to be worked out between individuals without drawing management attention to your selves.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□

My way of handling things like this might not be the correct way, but here's how I'd probably handle it. If you're busy with work lined up, and he's at his desk goofing off, show him all the work there is to do and ask him if he could help you. After one or two occurrences of him refusing, go to your manager. Him behaving the way he is behaving is like stealing.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    DanielHughesDanielHughes Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote:

My way of handling things like this might not be the correct way, but here's how I'd probably handle it. If you're busy with work lined up, and he's at his desk goofing off, show him all the work there is to do and ask him if he could help you. After one or two occurrences of him refusing, go to your manager. Him behaving the way he is behaving is like stealing.

I would do the same. Give him a chance to help, if that doesn't work you will need to speak to your manager. You can't really go to his manager, but your manager can.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It may just be something that has stuck from my time in the military but I believe all problems should be resolved at the lowest level. If that doesn't work then go up the chain but only after making an attempt to solve the issue on your own level.

+1. It's easy to run to the boss, but whether you're right or wrong, it makes you look bad without trying to resolve it at a lower level first.
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    This is a hard one in my opinion simply because there could be consequences to an employee telling another employee that he needs to stop surfing and start working. It may seem like a good idea to be a man and tell him face to face but that could lead to tension and animosity in the workplace where if a manager was told about it he could handle it much better because he is in authority. In the military it would seem to be a different mind state because you two might be on the battlefield together watching each others back and you want that level of trust amongst each other, but in a regular workplace the atmosphere is different. Its a hard choice.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    In my warped view of the world, this is what I would consider:

1) How is your and your coworker's performance evaluated?
    2) Does that performance evaluation affect the amount of your raise and/or bonus, or the availability of promotions?
    3) Is that performance evaluation scheme somewhat accurate? That is, are you being evaluated higher than your slothful co-worker, and therefore receiving more (insert whatever is important in your organization here) than your coworker?

IMO, if the above fits your situation, then continuing to compete against someone who is lazy and does less than you is much better for you than any of the alternatives...

In general, it's best to go to management with solutions instead of problems (this is similar to some of the advice you've seen in this thread). Also, the role of "work ethics police" is one of those things in an organization that is voluntary, doesn't pay well, and doesn't tend to lead to a high performance career.

MS
  • Options
    jetfanjetfan Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    AberdeenAngus,
    I was in the same boat as you, worked with a guy who would sleep, frequent the sites you mentioned, and generally got away with it all... I started submitting my resume and finally got a decent offer to go work at a place where i could gain new skills, get more $$$, and work a shift where i have little to no human contact, i love it!!! start shooting out those resumes man.. ever since i left the guy calls me and whines about having to work. (poetic justice) is all i can say. I did speak to him and management about it and they both dismissed me, so i knew the time had come to seek life elsewhere.
  • Options
    many thanks for the compendium of replies.

Option 1) (have a word in his ear-hole with regards sharing workload) seems to be the best option followed by the Line Manager Route if all else fails.

Even though he's a contactor, he's full time and we work towards a common goal so getting on with each other would be a bonus.

The most annoying thing is that he is full time and I work term-time only and get about 82% of a salary. Whereas he gets 100% and watches videos during the vacation season when our educational extablishment is closed and I'm sat at home. Then several weeks catching up after the vacation periods as he has done very little over the last few weeks

[rant mode = OFF]
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Yes if it's a case of you having tons of work and him none then just ask him to help with the workload.

Like how much work are you talking about that you have compared to his?

I would probably ask him directly to help out. What's the worst that can happen? Him say no? If he refuses ask him again while recording his response and when he says no take that recording to your boss lol.
  • Options
    eMeS wrote:
    In my warped view of the world, this is what I would consider:

1) How is your and your coworker's performance evaluated?
    2) Does that performance evaluation affect the amount of your raise and/or bonus, or the availability of promotions?
    3) Is that performance evaluation scheme somewhat accurate? That is, are you being evaluated higher than your slothful co-worker, and therefore receiving more (insert whatever is important in your organization here) than your coworker?

IMO, if the above fits your situation, then continuing to compete against someone who is lazy and does less than you is much better for you than any of the alternatives...

In general, it's best to go to management with solutions instead of problems (this is similar to some of the advice you've seen in this thread). Also, the role of "work ethics police" is one of those things in an organization that is voluntary, doesn't pay well, and doesn't tend to lead to a high performance career.

MS

Thanks again to all the replies.

Things have settled down a bit and work is being shared but I'm still having the lion's share.
    However, the comments above highlighted in bold I can agree with. Motivating a basically lazy person is not my job even though it affects me indirectly. Will monitor the situation and have a "chat" with my colleague should things get out of hand.

Personally, I would rather be busy doing constructive things rather than aimlessly surfing the net for up to half the day - time goes more quickly anyway.
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    Mrock4 wrote:

+1. It's easy to run to the boss, but whether you're right or wrong, it makes you look bad without trying to resolve it at a lower level first.

+2

If I was in management, that would be the first thing I would ask.

"Did you try to work it out with your co-worker first?"

If the answer is no, that would make me question whether or not the person approaching me would be able to handle other issues appropriately.