Options

data storage server

e24ohme24ohm Member Posts: 151
I need some pointers and ideas.

I just purchased a new motherboard and AMD processor. The board supports many flavors of RAID. What i want to do is have a storage server for data, but i am not sure the configuration foot print. should i have a 40GB OS/App partition and the rest a RAID 5 configuration to protect the data?

This is going to be my personal storage server, and will be saving over 200 GB, so a backup is not goign to be practical.
Utini!

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How many ports and how many hard drives (and sizes) do you have to work with?
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    If you only need 200GB then just buy two HDs and mirror them. RAID isn't a substitute for a backup however. RAID only protects you from a HD failing. It doesn't do a thing about you from deleting the wrong file.
  • Options
    e24ohme24ohm Member Posts: 151
    tiersten wrote:
    If you only need 200GB then just buy two HDs and mirror them. RAID isn't a substitute for a backup however. RAID only protects you from a HD failing. It doesn't do a thing about you from deleting the wrong file.
    Not worried about deleteing the wrong file, this is going to be archive location for data. The data will be around 200 +/- GB, and i do not have a backup method. Creating multipul DVD is not on my high list, so i thought that a RAID 5 array would be nice to store the data on. Not sure if this is a good soltuion or not, but that is what i was thinking and wanted to hear what other had to say or give tips or insight on soemthing that i might have over looked.

thank you.
    Utini!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You didn't answer my question. What do you have to work with? That's going to affect things a great deal. I'd typically put the OS on RAID-1 and the data on RAID-5 in this type of situation.

Tiersten makes a valid point as well. It's not just deleting the wrong file. You have coffee spills, fires, theft, etc. to worry about as well. I have two external drives that I keep in a fireproof safe and rotate weekly for full backups. It's a painless process, and my data is significantly more secure.