Options

Im new to security need help

binfried45binfried45 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
hello all.im new to the forum.i have done my a+/n+ and currently work as a first line admin.i am interested in doing the security plus.i just dont know where to start.can someone recommend some book or programs.i havent got that much knowledge on security other than the basics of a+/N+
and i have picked a thing or 2 as first line admin.i will appreciate and information to get me started on my sec+.my timeline to this cert is 3 months.thank you for reading
.i look forward to your answers
A wise man learns from correction,an even wiser man implements new ideas carefully.

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Hi and welcome to the forums.

First thing you should do is download a copy of the Security+ exam objectives at CompTIA.org. I would go over those a couple of times to get a good idea of what the Security+ exam is about. There's a link to the exam objectives and our Security+ TechNotes and practice exams on the following page: www.techexams.net/co_securityplus.shtml

I can't really recommend a book since it's been a while since I read a security+ guide. I used the Sybex book myself but can't say I really liked it enough to recommend it but as a second book it should work well.

Good luck!

ps. Your post is kinda hard to read without the space at the end and caps at the beginning of a sentence. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Someone recently passed the latest objectives with the latest Sybex book and Transcender, but there were some topics that were not covered and were filled in by experience and/or research. You will definitely need to pickup the objectives from the CompTIA website, read through the Sybex and determine if you have covered all the objectives. I think the reason why the other person used Transcender was for the same reason, to gauge whether there were areas that were not covered so that he could go back and research them.

I have heard good things about both the ExamCram and Syngress books. So, if you are looking to get a second source of study material, then either of those should be sufficient.

I am currently reading the latest Sybex book and it is a fun read, but I would recommend that you have background knowledge in A+, Net+, Server+, and/or CCENT/CCNA. There is a vast variety of topics and technologies mentioned that it could seem overwhelming. In a way, it is like what people say about CCNA. The material is 1 inch deep in detail, but 1 mile wide in the topics discussed.
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    Do you want to take the new Security+ test or the older mature one?

Either way the older Syngress book would be good, the 101 version of the test.. There is one Sybex book out for the new objectives, the 201 version of the test.

If you want to take the new version of the test, don't go just off Sybex. But I think it's a good start.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics