Options

SYNchronizing files

Hello Members,

The problem I have is I am studying for MCP, I have two laptops
Both laptops have the same file called, Permissions, Offline files,
and Network Protocols. These files are on both laptops and I make
notes in them on "both laptops" One laptop is in the livingroom, one
in the bedroom.

The problem is When I use the laptop in the bedroom, some of the notes I add to "permissions" "offline files" etc. are different from those in livingroom, and vice versa. So I am adding information in two locations, but the files in both locations are starting to have "different notes" in them" I want to BLEND THEM TOGETHER. I guess the word is synchronic or append of something. I do not know how to do it. I do not have a network connection.

Can someone please show me "step by step" how I can easily blend both sets of notes into 1 file, which includes all of the changes in "both sets of notes",
Ideally when I am making changes to the file in the bedroom or livingroom, I'd like to add those changes IMMEDIATELY TO THE OTHER LOCATION, how WOULD i SEND the changes to the file in the other location without overwriting the entire file, I just want to add the "changes". Thankyou. Rich

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How would you have that done immediately if you don't have a network connection?

Why don't you just store your notes on a flash drive and carry it with you from machine to machine? I regularly work on 3-4 different machines, and that's what I do. I keep everything in a TrueCrypt archive and regularly back that up in case I lose it.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    What program are you using for your notes?? I found this article about using Word 2007 to compare documents, and there's a link in the comments there about using a 3rd party tool to do comparisons.

Other than doing what dynamik suggested & using a portable medium to save your work, the best way to keep different versions of documents is to use the 'track changes' feature or Compare Documents in Word (if you're using Word, that is). In Word 2003, you can go to Tools > Compare & Merge Documents...or you can just open both documents and go to Window>Compare side by side. But keeping multiple versions of a single file can be very confusing, and it's hit or miss to let a program to comparisons for you, so you're best off to rename one file & bring it over to the other laptop & do a side by side comparison by hand...then use a portable storage medium to keep one version of the file, with periodic backups just in case.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    susuandme wrote:
    Hello Members,

The problem I have is I am studying for MCP, I have two laptops
    Both laptops have the same file called, Permissions, Offline files,
    and Network Protocols. These files are on both laptops and I make
    notes in them on "both laptops" One laptop is in the livingroom, one
    in the bedroom.

The problem is When I use the laptop in the bedroom, some of the notes I add to "permissions" "offline files" etc. are different from those in livingroom, and vice versa. So I am adding information in two locations, but the files in both locations are starting to have "different notes" in them" I want to BLEND THEM TOGETHER. I guess the word is synchronic or append of something. I do not know how to do it. I do not have a network connection.

Can someone please show me "step by step" how I can easily blend both sets of notes into 1 file, which includes all of the changes in "both sets of notes",
    Ideally when I am making changes to the file in the bedroom or livingroom, I'd like to add those changes IMMEDIATELY TO THE OTHER LOCATION, how WOULD i SEND the changes to the file in the other location without overwriting the entire file, I just want to add the "changes". Thankyou. Rich

Are you doing this as an exercise? First thing you need is establish a network connection on your laptops.

Read

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/learnmore/offlinefiles.mspx
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    wait a minute, are these the same two laptops you spoke about in this thread here? Do you no longer have the DSL router or another router/hub to connect the devices?
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    susuandmesusuandme Member Posts: 136
    yes I have the wireless router

they can both connect to the internet,
    will that make it easier
    thanks
  • Options
    susuandmesusuandme Member Posts: 136
    So plese tell me how to do this, I do not have a network at my office or anything so I cannot Share an office network server to synchronize these files.

I just hava two laptops in my house with no network server.

So how do I synchronize files that I work on from my living and bedroom

The same file is on both laptops, but I make changes to this one file
    in two different places, depending on where I am . So the file in
    the bedroom gets different notes, and the same file in the livingroom
    also has different notes added to it from time to time.

How do I synchronize both these files without using a office network server,
    I just want to have both these files in both places look the same always
    with the new information added from both places. So they sort of blend together.
    Right now, the living room file is different, and the bedroom file is different
    because I add different notes to them depending on where I am at the time.

so if someone can explain how to synch these two files ina step by step
    way, great, thankyou. rick
  • Options
    lost33causelost33cause Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm assuming you have a workgroup setup between the laptops. I would share the document from one laptop and always have the other laptop open the shared document so it's only actually saved on the one laptop but both laptops have access to it while connected to the workgroup.
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    susuandme wrote:
    So plese tell me how to do this, I do not have a network at my office or anything so I cannot Share an office network server to synchronize these files.

I just hava two laptops in my house with no network server.

Im not sure if he has a work group setup yet or not?

You dont need a server to share files any of the laptops can do it fine without installing a Server.

Take a look at this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813936

Its titled How to set up a small network with Windows XP Home Edition

It also includes a section on sharing files.

Whilst I could write all the steps out for you and it wouldnt be a problem it would be much more useful to you and your studies to go through this yourself.

If you hit any problems or hurdles feel free to ask.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    UncleCidUncleCid Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm assuming you have a workgroup setup between the laptops. I would share the document from one laptop and always have the other laptop open the shared document so it's only actually saved on the one laptop but both laptops have access to it while connected to the workgroup.

I'm not one of the big wigs on this message board, but that was what I was going to recommend. He could also setup a server at his home location.

Sorry, about the 3rd person... If you are wanting a flawless home networking strategy, without setting up a network, you will likely need to go with lost cause's suggestion, imo.

If i'm correct you have no access points, but you want to have synchronise changes happening with these files? You will likely have to host/share the files from some source, then make all changes to that source from where ever it is that you are. I would upload/copy/move these files to your share whenever you enter into your non-office networking enviroment. This way you will be enabled to make changes to your files immediately and in synchronization. Or you can just have the location of the offline files shared, I just hope you are backing up your data.

I"m not sure, but i think you have to them back in their orginal place so that the changes are made to your office network when you return.

That is one way that should work, but I am unsure if is the best or only way.

You could maybe setup a server with the same exact offline files and location.... that way the changes will always be uploaded to a server regardless of where you are. I would keep a backup of you files, because if changes are made to you home server it might copy over them. Plus i am not sure how the timestamps from different, unconnected servers will pan out.
  • Options
    UncleCidUncleCid Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm guessing this thread is dead, but I was wondering if anyone knows what will happen when two different sources have their offline files in the same location? Would it replicate to each without issues?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You're talking about if files were changed both places while offline? It'll detect a conflict when it syncs and will ask you how you want to handle it.