Cert Advice

olufonolufon Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have had a splendid time on this sites as various isues have been solved by those with years of experience.I recieved training on MCSE 2003 and CCNA but i have not written any certifications.I recently got admitted to study Networks and Information Security and i am confused on what certifications to write.Im nt sure if MCSE still exist cos im seeing something like MCTS.IS it advisable to follow the cisco path or microsoft...Suggestions highly welcome
Olufon.Muyiwa

Comments

• r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First off, I don't think any one person can suggest for you, you would need to decide what path you want to take and then proceed along that journey. If you currently work and depending on what area, and it highly concentrates in a particular area, then i would suggest that you take that path. Some people suggest that if you are not network savvy, that you should try Comptia's Network+ before you indulge in CCNA, or any Cisco Certs...
    I personally prefer to do a combo of the two, MCSE/MCSA/Linux and some networking course, CCNA, Network+, etc...

MCSE still exists, have you looked at Microsoft's site lately?

Just me 2 cents...
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
  • olufonolufon Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you very much....I think that is wat i will do..wat certifications will i need to write to become MCSE?I am abt writing N+ and i will write CCNA afterwards.Thank you very much for the response.Wat certs will i need to write tobecome MCSE?This is because the microsoft site is not explanatory
    Olufon.Muyiwa
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Here's the list of Microsoft certifications: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/credential/default.mspx

MCTS and MCITP are Microsoft's equivalent of MCP and MCSE but MCITP is for Server 2008. They still have the certifications for Server 2003 that you can take but you should check the testing centers in your area.

If you want to learn about routers, switches and how everything communicates then you should look toward Cisco. If you want to learn how to administer Microsoft servers then look at either MCSE or MCITP certs.
  • olufonolufon Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the response.There aare 7 certifications to become MCSE...If i start with 1 what will i be awarded?
    Olufon.Muyiwa
  • mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    If you pass any Microsoft exam on the MCSE track you will become a Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP).