Master IOS List

Does anyone know of a list of the latest IOS images available?

Also any elaboration on deciphering an image name would be good too. I am familiar with the basics, but maybe having a post about it would be beneficial.

Comments

• boostinbadgerboostinbadger Member Posts: 256
    That is good info. Thanks Dynamik.

What is a good standard feature set for studying for CCNA? (routers and switches)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have a mix of 12.2 and 12.3 on various 2500s and 2600s. I haven't done a lot of the lab work for ICND2 yet, but everything has worked thus far.
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    I believe the exam is testing 12.4 IOS for their 2800 series routers and like 12.2 for the 2960 switches.

When I began building my lab, I bought devices that would support the IOS and the technologies covered at this level. I've bought two 2610XM's and two 2950's. Will add some more after I'm done with the reading portion of the ICND2 and begin working with the lab portion.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
    That suggested equipment is ridiculous for the CCNA; you can get by with much less than that.
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    For what it's worth, I have 2x 2610XM's, 1x 2610 (Frame Switch), 2x 2501's, 1x 2960 and 1x 3550 EMI. I plan on going on to the CCNP after my CCNA is closed out.

For CCNA, I'd say 3 routers max and a couple of switches.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    dynamik wrote:
    That suggested equipment is ridiculous for the CCNA; you can get by with much less than that.

Are you referring to my post?

If so, I wasn't making a suggestion other than going with equipment that support the IOS and features being tested. The equipment I have so far has and hopefully it will help in further Cisco studies beyond the CCNA.

If not, then uuuhhhh...I don't know icon_lol.gif .
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
    Yea, I've seen IE labs composed of nothing beyond 2600XMs. You don't need 2800s for the NA icon_lol.gif
  • boostinbadgerboostinbadger Member Posts: 256
    I have three 1760s, four 2950s, three 2924s, one 2509, one 2510, and one 2511. Since I don't have access to download IOSs from Cisco I had a buddy of mine do it that can. These are the ones I will be getting.

c2940-i6k2l2q4-mz.121-22.EA12.bin

c2950-i6k2l2q4-mz.121-22.EA12.bin

c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-23.bin

c2500-is-l.123-26.bin

c1700-adventerprisek9-mz.124-23.bin
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    dynamik wrote:
    Yea, I've seen IE labs composed of nothing beyond 2600XMs. You don't need 2800s for the NA icon_lol.gif

I think the point famosbrown was making was that, while you don't need the actual 3725 & 3825 routers and 3550 & 3560 switches from the recommended CCIE equipment list, you should be working with equipment that will support the same IOS so that you can practice with the same features that you'd see on the lab exam. In this case, it's preferable to work with version 12.4 on the routers and 12.2 on the switches. The 2600XM you recommended is fine because it's capable of running IOS version 12.4, which is the same OS Cisco recommends you practice with for the CCNA. :D

For whatever Cisco exam you're doing, you don't need the latest and greatest hardware, just the latest software (IOS) to wrap your brain around. As long as the hardware does all the basic things a router/switch/firewall/etc. should do, it's all good for CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, and so forth.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    dynamik wrote:
    Cisco are just recommending what they currently sell.