Options

Question on Redistribution - BSCI

Liberty RebellionLiberty Rebellion Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm studying for the BSCI exam using the Cisco Press Official Exam Certification Guide. This book really irks me sometimes because they don't proof read anything they put in the Cisco Press books apparently as I experienced the same problems with the CCNA books.

here are my questions in regards to redistribution:

Do you have to have the routing protocol that you wish to redistribute running on the router along with the protocol into which the redistribution is occuring?

The book says:

"Routing protocols can only redistribute routes they know. Thus, if RIP is being redistributed into EIGRP, the routing table must have an entry for the RIP network"

Does that mean that if there's an entry in the routing table for the RIP network via Connected that it can redistribute, or does EIGRP have to know about it?

Doesn't that also mean that a router won't accept any other network advertisement from RIP other than the network directly connected since there is no other way to know about any other networks RIP is advertising for

Redistribution is the only section I'm having confusion with and, I think, it's mostly due to the way the book was written.

Thanks in advance! icon_lol.gif
LR

Comments

• Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm studying for the BSCI exam using the Cisco Press Official Exam Certification Guide. This book really irks me sometimes because they don't proof read anything they put in the Cisco Press books apparently as I experienced the same problems with the CCNA books.

here are my questions in regards to redistribution:

Do you have to have the routing protocol that you wish to redistribute running on the router along with the protocol into which the redistribution is occuring?

The book says:

"Routing protocols can only redistribute routes they know. Thus, if RIP is being redistributed into EIGRP, the routing table must have an entry for the RIP network"

Does that mean that if there's an entry in the routing table for the RIP network via Connected that it can redistribute, or does EIGRP have to know about it?

Doesn't that also mean that a router won't accept any other network advertisement from RIP other than the network directly connected since there is no other way to know about any other networks RIP is advertising for

Redistribution is the only section I'm having confusion with and, I think, it's mostly due to the way the book was written.

Thanks in advance! icon_lol.gif
    LR

if rip has learned the route from its neighbor(s) or directly connected it will add them to the routing table under the 15 rule. redistribution from rip to eigrp is simple but the eigrp metric should be set for the incoming rip routes
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    Liberty RebellionLiberty Rebellion Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply. I think I have the gist of it. And I did before, but there are examples the books keeps giving that don't make any sense and then I question my understanding of it and have to re-read everything. Even going back to the examples now they still don't make any sense.

I looked up some things on cisco and the Intertubes and it re-affirmed what I had already known lol.

Can't Cisco Press hire someone to proof-read these books before publishing them?

Thanks again.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I highly recommend supplementing that book with Routing TCP/IP Volume I Second Edition. I agree that the BSCI book leaves alot to be desired. Thankfully I'm done with it.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Have to go with CT - he recommended that book to me and I fully agree.

I bought both volumes, they are now my bibles.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I highly recommend supplementing that book with Routing TCP/IP Volume I Second Edition. I agree that the BSCI book leaves alot to be desired. Thankfully I'm done with it.

That book will really drive home the topics.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."