Laptop Recommendation

Darian929Darian929 Member Posts: 197
Hello techy's just wanted to see what people here would recommend as to a laptop. I am considering apple but not sure I basically want to use it for everything lol. For school... for busines... for techy stuff... not for gaming (would be nice but not a priority). So I wanted to know your experience with laptops and which ones are good and nice and things like that. I dont want to make this an apple vs windows thing. Thanks in advance, Darian.

Comments

• msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am very happy with my Lenovo T60p, was an easy choice at the time for me since I was looking for a good machine with a 1600x1200 display. They don't make these anymore, and are now selling the T61p which is also a great notebook. I like them because they seem very solidly built, they have a nice clean basic look (I like a plain black square edged notebook), nice features. Might be worth checking out. We use a lot of HP at work, and I have good experiences with their business line notebooks as well.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    you usually find Macs are slight overpriced for the hardware you get however you do get there slick design etc and can now put windows onto there intel chipset.

I have always had good experiances with dell but at th emoment im using a sony vaio vgn-bz11xn and its top notch. i really like it infact. its my work laptop and i wouldnt normally go for a vaio for several reasons but i have been very impressed so far.

how much money have you got to spend first and foremost?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I got mine from www.xoticpc.com

I believe it's a Sager 2092, but I would imagine there are better ones out. You'd be hard-pressed to find better customization options and price.

Check out the Sagers here: http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-latops-tablets-clevo-sager-notebooks-ct-95_51_162.html
  • amp2030amp2030 Member Posts: 253
    Thinkpad all the way! X-series is my favorite, but I always double it up with a decent desktop.
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    IBM Thinkpad or Dell for me. I owned an Alienware and will never buy one again. Crappy service and support. Dell owns them now, but I still won't buy one.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    option 1
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220412

option 2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220337

or try the dell studio
    i bought my wife one with 4gb ram, 2.2ghz 1066mhz and 256 video card for 1100dlls with tax
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    For an Xmas present I just bought a Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop with an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, and Windows Vista Home Premium from the Dell Outlet Store for under $700. I really like Dell refubs and they are a great way to save money.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well use HP exclusively here at work, but I bought an Acer laptop from Best Buy last week for 349. Im happy with it. Im not into games, so it is good for web, email, study, open office, etc.

Find the specs you want, then find them in each manufacturer, and see who has the best deal, including warranty/support.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We are exclusively an IBM/Lenovo shop. We've migrated from Dell to HP (crap) to IBM.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lenovo here and like it.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    T61 Thinkpad here, so far it served me well. If you want a more consumer notebook then try out Lenovo regular line of notebooks. I heard they are more competitive then Dell in terms of price.

Also a good notebook review site: http://www.notebookreview.com/
  • Devin McCloudDevin McCloud Member Posts: 133
    I would not recommend a dell without the service plan. I had a Dell 5150 3.0 in 1 year the power plugin on board, mother board, processor,screen and dvd-drive all had to be replaced. Sure they fixed it within two weeks each time but they are not built to be heavily used. It's possible it was that model but be sure to get the service plan.
    The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.