NT Server 4.0

TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
Has anyone still got an NT Server lurking in their shop?

Comments

• Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    My previous job had about 20-30 of them. Most on VMs but a few live and well.

In my current job we have two clients that still have them. One company uses it for terminal services something about licensing. And another is a mixed mode envionment that is being slowly migrated to a vista/2008 envionment.
    -Daniel
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yup, still a handful globally.
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote:
    Has anyone still got an NT Server lurking in their shop?

Are you reminiscing about days gone by? :)icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

What is NT Server 4.0?
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It is a Server and Workstation OS from the days when men were men and women were women, or something like that! :)icon_wink.gif

If you are being serious, it is the OS that preceeded Windows 2000 and Active Directory etc. This is a VERY limited definition, obviously! icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

ITdude wrote:
    It is a Server and Workstation OS from the days when men were men and women were women, or something like that! :)icon_wink.gif

If you are being serious, it is the OS that preceeded Windows 2000 and Active Directory etc. This is a VERY limited definition, obviously! icon_wink.gif

You know Royal was joking, right?
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I have had therapy to block out the traumatic memories of NT4.

Our last NT4 system was actually a Nortel PABX which has since been software upgraded to a Linux based system.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    No NT4 on my network.

However, we do have a single Windows 95 client.

All 80 other clients are Windows XP.

All Servers are Windows 2003 or 2003 R2

I feel very lucky!
    If we're playing who's got the oldest machines still running...

I have a handful of VAXstation 4000/90's still running in production.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    We tossed our last NT server last year. Working on getting our last 2000 out the door in the next few months.

Last job back in 2006 had about 1/2 of 75 or so servers still on NT, a plant that was JUST converting from Windows 95, and one critical app for our transportation center that was running on a early 90's PC on running DOS
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    We still have one NT server, which refuses to let itself be virtualized, so it will hang around until the 10+ year old box finally kicks the can and the few people that actually use it are forced to move on.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote:
    I have had therapy to block out the traumatic memories of NT4.

Our last NT4 system was actually a Nortel PABX which has since been software upgraded to a Linux based system.

we have one of theses in a branch .. Nortel BCM 400
    +
    Several NT workstations connected to OS/2 Servers icon_eek.gif
  • bencairneybencairney Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    About 30-50 NT servers still left, should all be gone next year.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    wd40 wrote:
    we have one of theses in a branch .. Nortel BCM 400
    Yup! It was a BCM400. Crap system. We've had lots of issues with it. Its been better since it was upgraded to Linux but still not great.
  • bsddaemon0bsddaemon0 Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    astorrs wrote:

Big deal. At my previous employer there were two original Apple IIs still running in production every day.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    royal wrote:
    What is NT Server 4.0?

It's the version of Windows with No Tubes...
    Good luck to all!
    bsddaemon0 wrote:
    astorrs wrote:

Big deal. At my previous employer there were two original Apple IIs still running in production every day.
    Okay, I have to ask why... What the hell only runs on an Apple II that is worth keeping? ;)
  • bsddaemon0bsddaemon0 Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    astorrs wrote:
    Okay, I have to ask why... What the hell only runs on an Apple II that is worth keeping? ;)

The Apples were hooked up to some sort of test equipment and ran custom programs in BASIC. Both were still working perfectly collecting data from them. The plastic cases were looking really funky, although.

Best part is, the company does lots of business with the government and military and the Apples were being used to support their contracts. :)