Options

Why is Security+ more expensive than other exams?

felix7felix7 Member Posts: 25 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm currently studying for Security+, anyone noticed it's $225 (regular price) which is more expensive than all the other popular Comptia exams? (eg. Network+, I-Net, Server+, etc. which are going for $207) Why is this? Is it because it's an elective for a Microsoft MCSE/MCSA? Even with the vouchers it's still about $15 more than the rest.

Comments

• Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ummm - I won't comment my true thoughts on this, but the answer Comptia puts forward is that due to the subject matter the development costs of this exam were higher than normal. They also claim that because it is not an 'entry level' exam in the mould of A+ and Net+ that the price also helps differentiate this.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    Somehow it doesn't sound like you really believe them :D The only thing I see that could justify the cost is that Security+ has more questions than the other exams (100 questions).
  • Options
    kavadarcikavadarci Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also can not find a reason why Security + is more expensive but I guess it is not up to us to decide. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    seekseek Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think its thier idea of an advanced exam. Soooo to scare people and reduce the amount of certified people they jack the price.

Not the best method..but it appears to work.

Seek
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    They charge that much because it is a Security test and they can get away with it.....There are lines of people willing to pay this price, so they are not going to lower it. (Good thing my company paid for mine).....If you plan on taking more security tests, get used to the crazy prices....It just makes you want to study even harder, so you don't have to pay the price a second time. Here are some of the prices I paid on security tests:

CISSP = 500
    SSCP = 400
    CEH = 250
    CCIE Security Written = 300

Study material for these tests are not cheap either....
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    Wow. Does that include any training? How can they charge that much just to write an online exam? That's more money than a full 1-year university course with a live PhD professor.
  • Options
    AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    I'm not complaining. Both the A+ exams combined cost much more and so far Sec+ plus has a much higher ROI. I have experience with pc's in terms of troubleshooting,upgrading, reparation etc but when i started reading for the A+ i found out my knowledge was vintage. I finally agree the A+ is a must have for any PC technician in any field infact i suggest these cert should be renewed after a certain period just like the Cisco certs. icon_wink.gif
    Hard times on planet earth.