Options

Electrical engineering

Uchiha SasukeUchiha Sasuke Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a question icon_wink.gif

Is bachelor degree in electrical engineering good for Cisco career ?

I was recently entered in college direction is : you guess it folks it's electrical engineering icon_lol.gif

I like Network more then Administration so I was thinking to get in Cisco stuff even deeper...

So pals is't good for me to finish electrical engineering ? or just to transfer myself second year to computer engineering or Informatics engineering for exemple ?

I mean is't electrical engineering closer to Cisco then degree in Computer engineering or Informatics engineering ?

Thanks icon_wink.gif
;)

Comments

• Options
    wat08wat08 Member Posts: 128
    A university degree in a technical discipline is about abstract problem solving. Any engineering degree will help prepare your mind for a Cisco-related career.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachelor_of_Engineering
  • Options
    I know that mate, but what sounds better ?
    ;)
  • Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    stick with EE. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    oo_snoopyoo_snoopy Member Posts: 124
    It doesn't matter really. You can have CS or EE, or CE, or something else IT. The degree is more of a check mark in this field, but if you're going to get a degree, I agree that anything with engineering on the end is good.
    I used to run the internet.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Electrical Engineer have absolutely NOTHING to do with Cisco or networking ! Not even related :)

See I know many Electrical Engineers who are CCIEs now, and I know very well the courses taught in Electrical Engineering school, and they are not related to Networking or IT at all.

Yes you can work in Cisco after finishing electrical engineering, but you will have to start from the beginning.

I suggest you go for Computer Engineering, as you might take many courses related to networking. I was lucky enough to have CCNA Lab as part of a course called "Internetworks" . It depends on the university, but generally speaking if you intend to work in IT, then go for computer engineering.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    UnixGuy wrote:
    Electrical Engineer have absolutely NOTHING to do with Cisco or networking ! Not even related :)

See I know many Electrical Engineers who are CCIEs now, and I know very well the courses taught in Electrical Engineering school, and they are not related to Networking or IT at all.

Exactly that !

But why is so many (I will say the most) people that are in Cisco world in big places (have CCIE and great career) have degree in Electrical Engineering ? and not something else ?

I have see people with degree for pilot and have CCIE and kicking, but that isn't matter.

The matter is that I think statistic prove that E.E. is a better then the rest hmmm ..... if not then why people even bother to go for E.E. and not just kick something easier like Computer Engineering which is easier to pass in my opinion, because it's more related to real networks.

Thanks icon_wink.gif
    ;)
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Don't confuse "Electrical Engineering" with "Electronic Engineering." The people who designed all of Cisco's hardware were Electronic Engineers (a.k.a., Computer Engineers). Although Electrical Engineering does include electronics, it is a much broader field of study that covers more than Electronic Engineering does. Non-electronic EE's are also called "Power Engineers."
  • Options
    JDMurray check this

http://www.corvit.com/systems_team.php?syst=1

most of them have Electrical Engineering (let's say the big fishes) icon_wink.gif
    ;)
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    most of them have Electrical Engineering (let's say the big fishes) icon_wink.gif
    Yes, and most of them probably specialized in Computer Engineering. Most EE's specialize in one or two fields.
  • Options
    I know that mate, but what sounds better ?

icon_cool.gif

What SOUNDS better? You're prepared to dedicate the next 3, 4, or 5 years of your life to a program based on its title as opposed to its content?

In that case, better go with astrophysics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrophysics

UnixGuy wrote:

Yes.
  • Options
    But why is so many (I will say the most) people that are in Cisco world in big places (have CCIE and great career) have degree in Electrical Engineering ? and not something else ?

Most? Really?

My guess would be for the respect that an Engineering degree commands since it's a rigorous program to get through.
  • Options
    wat08 wrote:
    What SOUNDS better? You're prepared to dedicate the next 3, 4, or 5 years of your life to a program based on its title as opposed to its content?

In that case, better go with astrophysics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrophysics

Hehe , well it's like this: no school in the world will teach you in depth, that will lend you a job of your dreams.

It's all up to you and your self-study, so that's the reason I open this topic.

In my college Electrical Engineering is better then the rest, our schedule is on top and when you say you are at E.E. they like uuuuuuuu (because it's so rigorous program to get through as you post in your last message)

After you finish for Bachelor in E.E. you get at last 3 job offer, so you are secure about a job, and it's only direction that will give you that credits. (in my college)

So there is a debate in my head, will I continue with this direction or switch to C.E. (with interesting subjects) but these subjects that teach in Computer Engineering I can knock with ease so they will not teach me any new things, so I ask: is't worth it to switch to C.E. in that case just for IT diploma? icon_confused.gif
    ;)
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    CS or CE would be my vote....actually if you have an option for a BS in Telecommunications I'd go for that.
  • Options
    UnixGuy wrote:

Exactly that !

I have see people with degree for pilot and have CCIE and kicking, but that isn't matter.

The matter is that I think statistic prove that E.E. is a better then the rest hmmm ..... if not then why people even bother to go for E.E. and not just kick something easier like Computer Engineering which is easier to pass in my opinion, because it's more related to real networks.

Thanks icon_wink.gif

The guys with Electrical engineering degrees that are CCIEs are simply working in Cisco because they couldn't find a job in Electrical engineer :D as simple as that !! or they found jobs that they didn't like !!

Electrical Engineering knowledge will be of zero help in the Cisco world, that you must be aware of.

I've seen a lot of people without degrees and with CCIE, so it doesn't matter, you can learn Cisco or anything if you get the opportunity and you have the determination.

• Options
    UnixGuy wrote:

Exactly that !
    .....something easier like Computer Engineering which is easier to pass in my opinion, because it's more related to real networks.

Thanks icon_wink.gif

oh big mistake, computer engineering is NOT easier icon_lol.gif it depends on the university and the curriculum :)

• Options
    Well UnixGuy your messages give me a thinking and I was thinking and thinking and balance then again thinking and I must say you are right indeed .

I was confused and was always think why this guys have that degree because it's not related to IT at all ....

But then all of you put some light on it, and I thank you icon_wink.gif

I will probably transfer myself next year to CE and start kicking :)

All the best icon_cool.gif
    ;)