Best OS no fanboy rants plz

procmanprocman Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
i was wondering what everyone's favorite OS is. such as are you a M$ or linux, Mac OS, or even a DOS/Unix guy.

we all know that linux is great and free and microsoft is a money hungry machine aimed at world domination so.. what is your fav and for what reason?
K-Meleon 1.5.1
Compaq Presario 723RS

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I think the answer depends on what you want to do with the OS and what you've happened to use. I have mostly used MS, and of their offerings, I like Vista the best.

It takes a beating in those stupid Mac commercials, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty durn cool. It's "pretty" (although I concede that it looks an awwwwwful lot like a Macintosh OS) and the included features are hands down better than XP. Although I wish more programs would have better compatibility. I was kinda miffed that my CertBlaster software for N+ didn't work so well on my Vista machines...I could run it, but I couldn't get any of the program updates because it was looking for files based on where they would be in XP.

Although I do have a fond place in my heart for Windows 3.1...
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    [joking]Windows ME[/joking]. I think Windows 7 will be my favorite. Hearing that MS is shooting for a a close to 15 second average boot time by doing things such as dynamically starting services when they are needed, etc. sound great to me. I've been paying quite a bit of attention to Windows 7 and we have a lot of internal guys running Windows 7 and from what I hear, it's been great. I think so far my favorite OS has been Windows 2000. It was very lean, ran really fast, and just worked great.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    royal wrote:
    Hearing that MS is shooting for a a close to 15 second average boot time by doing things such as dynamically starting services when they are needed, etc. sound great to me.
    I'm unsure of this feature. They did this in XP as well by basically background starting everything when you logged in. It still meant that I couldn't use the PC properly for a few minutes as it flogged itself to death loading all the delayed services. Having it part of the boot sequence meant I just had more time to go get my coffee in the morning. After login means I have to wait...
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    mikej412 wrote:

Is the download link for the cd broken? It doesn't want to work for me. http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/download.html

Sounds interesting and I wanted to install it via vm.
    tiersten wrote:
    royal wrote:
    Hearing that MS is shooting for a a close to 15 second average boot time by doing things such as dynamically starting services when they are needed, etc. sound great to me.
    I'm unsure of this feature. They did this in XP as well by basically background starting everything when you logged in. It still meant that I couldn't use the PC properly for a few minutes as it flogged itself to death loading all the delayed services. Having it part of the boot sequence meant I just had more time to go get my coffee in the morning. After login means I have to wait...

The services won't start at all until an application requests it. Only the core services will start. Much different and IMHO a good change.
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Windows XP. thanks.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
    royal wrote:
    The services won't start at all until an application requests it. Only the core services will start. Much different and IMHO a good change.
    Ahh. That is much better.
    Ya, from what I take from reading about Windows 7, Microsoft is trying to make it Vista + more features + less annoying (slider bar for UAC) + less bloated (optional items during install) + very high performance due to less bloat, less services, and improved memory management and applications requiring less memory.

Hopefully all this stuff comes true. I would think so since Windows 7 beta is about to come out and they've already announced all of this stuff as being in Windows 7. So I'm fairly optimistic Windows 7 is going to kick major ass. We shall see.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    royal wrote:
    So I'm fairly optimistic Windows 7 is going to kick major ass.

Ditto. I really like what I've seen so far.

I also find it interesting to see communities where the Vista hate is fairly high, such as Digg, embracing Windows 7.
    Ya, same for Engadget and Gizmodo. I've seen the acceptance for Windows 7 quite high there as well with their Vista hate so high.
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Mac OSX. 100% secure, 100% virii/malware/worm/trojan free. It. Just. Works.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    Mac OSX. 100% secure
    100%?
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    100% virii/malware/worm/trojan free
    100%?
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    IOS

Let see you fools run your systems for years on end without a reboot :P
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Talic wrote:
    Is the download link for the cd broken?
    Just tried it and it's working -- they are limiting the number of concurrent downloads, so if you get an error or have a problem, try again later.

Plan 9 Plan 9 from Bell Labs Fourth Edition home page.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    I still wax fondly of DR-DOS 5.0. Apparently it's still alive as OpenDOS.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    GT-Rob wrote:
    IOS

Let see you fools run your systems for years on end without a reboot :P

I will, just as soon as you type of a professional looking document explaining why you don't need to reboot so often on that. :D
    Good luck to all!
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    Server side ==> Solaris

Desktop ==> Windows XP
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    I believe people's expectations are too high for Windows 7. I believe MS is going to try the pay to download modular route with 7 and people are going to start complaining because they would have to pay for every little thing they want in it. Sure it might be good that they have it less bloated but how much missing would have me worried. Maybe they'll have a gamer edition that charges you to have DX installed? Maybe they'll go the subscription route? Who knows what they'll do.

As for me, I'll probably get it for free through my college anyways, just like I did with Vista Business :P
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Windows XP. It sits there, doing its job and with all the latest security patches installed it's fairly secure as well. Anyone who says they don't like windows xp is lying ;)
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    DOS rocks!!!
    Works great and forces folks to learn their OS instead of just clicking on stuff.
    (I also miss my old TRS-80) :D
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
    Talic wrote:
    As for me, I'll probably get it for free through my college anyways, just like I did with Vista Business :P

You pay with a technology fee and/or through tuition.
  • amp2030amp2030 Member Posts: 253
    Overall: BeOS, rest in peace...

From the current generation, Windows XP.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    AIX 2.2.1

At least it was for a little while ;) Installed it on an IBM 6150 in 1998.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote:
    OS/2 forever
    +1000

I love the way that you have to reboot the server to try to solve any issues + the 15 minutes you have to wait and pray for it to start icon_redface.gif

I like Vista very much, It works for me ..

I liked Fedora core 4 when it was new, but got sick of it after 6 months ..
    tiersten wrote:
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    Mac OSX. 100% secure
    100%?
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    100%?
    you obviously didn't get point of my post.

• dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My Commodore 128 never got any viruses so I guess that is the best computer/OS I have ever used.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    tiersten wrote:
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    Mac OSX. 100% secure
    100%?
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    100%?
    you obviously didn't get point of my post.

In his defense, I didn't apparently either...
    Good luck to all!
    title of the thread includes "no fanboi rants"

fanboy rants tend to include how secure and stable they are, and how macs don't ever break

my post generally follows that pattern.