VMware blunder

EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
Well, my D drive was full (as in completely full) and in my apparent naivety I just moved the D:\Virtual Machines folder to my E drive. Now I went into editing the VM settings to point it to the right path, it doesnt give me the option to select the config file. All it shows me is the option to change the location where suspend files will be stored and even if I try to change that location, it gives me an error saying it could not find the config file.

So the question is how do I get it to specify the location of the config file. I am using the free VMware download available from the vendor's website.

I googled this and VMware's website said "You cannot change the location of the config file to a different directory on the same system". Is this true? If yes, how do I free up space on the D drive? It's just a 20GB drive (98% now taken up by VMware).

Please advise.
NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Awright I seem to found a solution. Went into File>Open and browsed to the location of the .vmx file. This has let me access all my vm's. But the old "vm's" ( or rather their instances ) are still there, I mean the ones that were on D drive ( I moved these to E drive to free up space ). When I try to open those instances of the vm's, it still says config file not found. What's this?? Is it something that points to the old location?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Which VMWare are you running? I'm assuming not ESX, in ESX you can move a machine with a simple right-click.

I think you can right click on of the machines in the console that still thinks it's supposed to be on the D drive and remove it from inventory, then edit the vmx file that you moved to the E drive and find where it specifies the path to the disk and edit it.

There might be a better/more correct answer but I'm using ESX and don't remember the interface for the other versions.

Good luck
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I see what you mean blargoe, but wont removing them from the inventory entail cleaning up the records and stuff on the PDC? Just asking because I dont know very much about VMware. I have everythin running fine ATM, maybe the old instances are something like stale records that will go away without causing me any grief.

Now before I do delete them from the inventory, can someone please advise me if this is safe to do?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..