Need some suggestions

Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
I have a server set up from a vendor that we are having issues with. The problem is that the system volume (dynamic disk) was created as a 12GB volume! We are now down to under 1GB of space on that volume and I am unable to extend the volume using conventional means. The server has 2 physical drives with all volumes being mirrored.

My supervisor doesn't really want to spend any money on a 3rd party partitioning program if we can help it. We do have good current backups,however if for some reason something were to go wrong in an attempt to do a restore, we do not have the vendor software on site. The vendor would have to come out and reinstall their stuff.

Any suggestions or am I better off to get a partitioning program (server edition)?

Server is running Windows 2003 server Standard Edition, it is not a DC.

Thanks

Comments

• deadpool287deadpool287 Member Posts: 113
    avoid partition magic.

sorry let me back that up.

It has large risk of deleting most of the data on that volume out of 35 ppl in my class 30 of them lost majority or all of their data.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are you using software or hardware RAID?

You could maybe use something like http://gparted.sourceforge.net/ but I haven't had much luck with it. I like Acronis Disk Director.
  • draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    +1 for Acronis Disk Director
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Software RAID.

$499 for the server version of Acronis will be a tough one to sell to my supervisor.

I'm a bit hesitant to try gparted... Maybe I'll play around with it on my lab at home tonight to test it out first.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You could try doing something like breaking the RAID, putting the drive in another machine, and then using the $50 Home version to resize it, and then put it back in the server and rebuild the array. I don't think they'll let you install the home version on a Server OS; if they did, that would save you some steps.

Just make sure you have good backups before any drastic action :D
    Hmmm, good idea. Worth a try anyway. $50 is something I can probably talk my supervisor into spending. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I never had a problem with Partition magic, and used it for the same thing you are.

Failing that, and all other suggestions here, have you offloaded everything not needed on the main partition that you can? Set the page file to a static 50MB on the system drive and move the rest to a different partition. Move the print spooler off as well. Redirect any profiles/user folders to a different partition. Etc....
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Faced this with a customer several months ago. gparted tends to not work with Dells, but does work with HP's and IBM servers. You cannot expand the disk if it's dynamic with something like gparted.

If it's a dynamic disk, you're gonna have a tough time.

Here's what I did:

1. Backup system via image level backup. Backup Exec System Recovery Server Edition can be used free for 30 days.
    2. Use a raw boot table editor to turn off the dynamic disk setting. This may destroy the boot table of the drive, so don't do it unless you get a good backup.
    http://faq.arstechnica.com/link.php?i=1806
    3. If it works, you're done.
    4. If it doesn't work, restore your image backup.
    Good luck to all!
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Here's a nice little checklist of things you can typically move/delete.
    http://www.lwcomputing.com/tips/static/bootdrivesize.asp
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    avoid partition magic.

sorry let me back that up.

It has large risk of deleting most of the data on that volume out of 35 ppl in my class 30 of them lost majority or all of their data.
    agreed...it totally borked my HD when I tried to move partitions around. Of course I didn't follow my own advice & backup my data before I repartitioned, so I spent all night recovering data & reinstalling - FUN!
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    Faced this with a customer several months ago. gparted tends to not work with Dells, but does work with HP's and IBM servers. You cannot expand the disk if it's dynamic with something like gparted.

If it's a dynamic disk, you're gonna have a tough time.

Here's what I did:

1. Backup system via image level backup. Backup Exec System Recovery Server Edition can be used free for 30 days.
    2. Use a raw boot table editor to turn off the dynamic disk setting. This may destroy the boot table of the drive, so don't do it unless you get a good backup.
    http://faq.arstechnica.com/link.php?i=1806
    3. If it works, you're done.
    4. If it doesn't work, restore your image backup.

Yeah, it's the fact that it's a dynamic disk that I'm having a problem. I'll be attempting your posted solution today. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!
    Ok! So the technique to convert back to a basic disk worked just fine. I did however have a lot of issues once I was able to get back into the Windows Environment.... Thank god for UBCD4Windows. I went in there and was able to just blow away the existing partition and then run the disk imaging tool. I had setup a partition on the 2nd hard disk prior to the basic disk conversion with an image of the system partition.

So far everything seems to be running.... I'll further monitor everything to make sure all is well though.