Having trouble with my MAC OS X

TryntotechitTryntotechit Member Posts: 108
I believe my mac has a virus and or malware. Before I get the criticism, I know that mac's are supposed to be virus PROOF. When the mac was new, it was very fast connecting to the Internet and accessing programs. Now, it takes awhile to get online and to load programs. I believe that it has something on it.

Does anyone know where/what programs I can use to check a Mac. I have looked and can't seem to find any. On my PC, I use AVG antivirus, Adaware SE, and Spybot S&D. But I am don't know what to use for the mac. Can anyone help. Thanks.
Taking 70-294 very soon...again

Comments

• macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    You can use Norton AV for the mac, macfee, clamav, and Intego. Apple recommened them a few weeks ago on there site before they took the link down.

Macs are less prone to virii but not immune like apple wants you to think.

http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/12/apple-on-the-ne.html
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I know that mac's are supposed to be virus PROOF.

Viruses are just executable code. No system is virus proof. Macs don't have a lot of problems because they're such a small portion of the computer population that they're not worth many virus writers' time. Macs have also had UAC-like features for awhile which helps deter running such programs. But if you download something and run it, it's going to run.

A quick Google search yielded this: http://macscan.securemac.com/
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    You could always try "top" in the command line and see whats running..
  • DanFerDanFer Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Try running the repair permissions and repair disk tool which is in utlities
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Also have you checked how much disk space you have. i know we had issues at work with graphic designers who stored a ton of info onto there local HD and it seemed once a certain amount of space was taken up the performance was like a dying dog!

Mac's are no different to windows etc like apple want you to think in terms of viruses etc. But windows does get hit more.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking