Question about digital TV

nevolvednevolved Member Posts: 131
Hey everyone,

Ok, so I have basic cable television and high speed internet from Comcast. Am I going to be affected by this "digital changeover?" Does the digital changeover have anything to do with wired connections? I want to set up a home theater pc, but I don't want to have to worry about not being able to play TV at all through the PC when the change happens.

Thanks

(By the way, I did just spend about an hour reading everything I could on the subject, before asking.)

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I haven't really been following this since I don't watch TV, but do you even know if you're not already on digital? Just give Comcast a call and tell them what equipment you're using; they should be able to answer all your questions.
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    Everybody using cable or satellite TV is unaffected by the change-over, as they are already receiving digital broadcasts. Analog-only TVs are already supported by cable and satellite converter boxes. Analog-only TVs that use an off-air antenna (rabbit ears, etc.) will need to be hooked to cable or satellite or get an off-air digital antenna and digital-to-analog converter box.
  • Devin McCloudDevin McCloud Member Posts: 133
    The problem with digital converter boxes is the picture is absolutely perfect as long as the signal is strong. If the signal has any weakness, you lose the entire picture. It's not like analog where your signal still came in fuzzy. Two, you can't switch channels as fast as your regular tv, if you do it freezes up the box for a short period. You also get the "max headroom" effect a lot, where the sound seems distorted and repeating as signals come in and out on you. Some days you will have channels and on bad weather days you will not. Makes me question what people are going to do when a tornado is near and signal goes out.
    On a positive, you get perfect picture when the signal is good. You also get 3 channels for every station(6.1,6.2,6.3). Each station gets 3 channels for the same price as the one, so ABC and PBS right now have 2 extra channels.
    The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.
    All of those problems have to do with the digital antenna or the lack of a line signal amplifier. I have had a cheap, off-air digital/HD antenna on my chimney since 2000 and it works great, even in bad weather, but it wouldn't be usable without a signal amp.
  • Devin McCloudDevin McCloud Member Posts: 133
    Hummm....I have a antenna on the roof of my apt. and the apt. has a signal amplifier in the laundry room. I was told the only remedy is to buy a "smart antenna" made for digital boxes, which run over $70. With analog I get 4,6,11,13 and 15. With digital most of these channels are in and out with distortion, but crystal clear some days. Channel 4 satellites are 1/2 mile away from me. It's possible I have so kind of distortion. JDMurry, do you think high powered power lines would cause this distortion? I have a few right outside my apt. Maybe that's the problem!
    The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.
    You need to make sure that your antenna is pointed directly at the closest digital transmission station in your area. There is usually one place where all of the TV antennas for a particular service area are located (for my area of Southern California it's Mt. Wilson).

If there are high voltage power lines in a direct line between your antenna and the TV antennas, it's possible that you are picking up interference. Either change the elevation of the antenna or try pointing it elsewhere. Look around at other antennas in you neighborhood and see where they are pointed. Also talk with your neighbors; maybe nobody gets good off-air digital signals in your neighborhood.