Books to study for MCP

Hi,

Someone mentioned earlier an author of a book, who
explains the principles of the 270- exam plainly
and simply. I forgot the name of the author and the
book, the author sounded like "Misani" or something similar.
or perhaps different.

Anyway, I want to purchase a very basic book that does
not assume on the job experience, which I do not have.
These high tech books make assumptions sometimes on
peoples knowledge of the subject which are causing gaps
in my learning. Can someone give me the name of the
author and book again. Thankyou, Ric

1 question please: What is the most limited right or group
you can give someone to add or change drivers:
a. administrator, b. power user, c. server operator, d> the group
policy right to load and unload drivers.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • aidan80aidan80 Member Posts: 147 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used the MS Training Kit which is.. well like consuming a phone book! You may want to try out http://www.amazon.com/Meyers-Windows-Professional-Certification-Passport/dp/0072225084/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228876338&sr=8-13 to help break in the basics. have a flick through it on Amazon. If it's anything like the other books it might be a good jump off point and help fill in some of the gaps. I know it's a bit dated now but it can be found quite cheaply online. You will most certainly need more than just one book I'd expect if you lack experience.

Have you done the A+ yet? If not I'm sure it'll help as will experience. Any experience e.g. in VM's or on old junkers.
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    susuandme wrote:
    1 question please: What is the most limited right or group
    you can give someone to add or change drivers:
    a. administrator, b. power user, c. server operator, d> the group
    policy right to load and unload drivers.

I didn't take the 270 and I don't know the answer offhand, but I did a little googling and found a link or two or three that might help you figure out the answer...
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • susuandmesusuandme Member Posts: 136
    Thank for help finding the book and the links to the question all have been very helpful.

But it brought up another question. If I wanted to allow a user to " load and unload device drivers and hardware" which policy would I use:

Group Policy or Local Security Policy or Local Policy, and why please.
    thankyou, ric
    susuandme wrote:
    Thank for help finding the book and the links to the question all have been very helpful.

But it brought up another question. If I wanted to allow a user to " load and unload device drivers and hardware" which policy would I use:

Group Policy or Local Security Policy or Local Policy, and why please.
    thankyou, ric
    This article reply states that it can be done via the Local Security Policy, as does this link.

No offense, but have you tried to look up these questions before posting here? I googled "load and unload device drivers and hardware" and the links above came up on the first page. I'm not trying to be snarky, just suggesting that if you spend some time researching the topic it might be helpful in getting a deeper understanding of the different ways to edit policies/rights.

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just to clarify, you can use either group or local policies to do that. Group policy requires a domain environment with Active Directory. It allows you to assign policies to sites, domains, and OUs (ironically, NOT groups). Instead of having to configure a policy, such as that, on a dozen workstations, you can simply put them in an OU and link the policy to the OU. It just comes down to what you have to work with (domain or workgroup) and how you want to manage it. You can even use local policies with group policies. Maybe you only need that policy on one machine and you don't want to create an additional OU or mess around with filtering to get that policy to apply to that one computer. You would just assign that policy locally.
    thanks for the clarification dynamik. I originally was going to say that where you do it depends on where you want it to apply - globally to all users/machines or just to one user/machine - but I (obviously!) don't have a good enough understanding of the policy stuff just yet. Thanks for the extra info & for clearing it up.