Options

Vyatta?

TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
I'm curious what you guys think about them. My boss uses them as hes router as choice and he asked me to look into them for configuring. He mostly supports small businesses such as doctors, accounting, and the such with VPNs, backups, and various other IT stuff.

Comments

• Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    So I guess no one has really used them. I just watched a video on how to set up basic routing using Vyatta and it seems like they use a lot of the same commands that Cisco uses except for a few Linux modifications (like using tab to show available commands). So it doesn't seem too hard to get used to using it.

I'm probably going to try to get a virtual network going with vyatta routers.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I have been meaning to run one of these for over a year now. Just been too busy with work and study to tinker with it.

I will try to get around to it eventually though. Let us know how it goes.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I ran one for a project in a network security class. Pretty easy to setup and it was nice, didn't get it in a full environment though. It's nice that you can put it on any type of hardware and for the class we set it up on virtual machines. Do let us know how it works out though!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I actually used it to segregate a Linux VM lab I gave a few people access to. I ran it in a VM and bridged one virtual adapter to my physical adapter, connected the other virtual adapter to the virtual network the Linux VMs were on, and then I setup basic firewall stuff to prevent those VMs from communicating with any of the other machines on my network (only allowed traffic to the router, with the exception of a few ports, so they couldn't try to hack that icon_lol.gif). It was pretty straight-forward; I probably set all that up in an hour or two with no prior knowledge of how to use it. I just stumbled through the guide. I have no idea how well it actually works in a business environment, but it's a neat app.
  • Options
    EJizzelEJizzel Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I recently used it to connect my virtual network I configured in vmware. I have vmware installed on my laptop with an ip address in 192.168.1.x network. I needed a way to have a custom network (10.0.0.x) running in vmware (1 server 2003, 2 xp, 1 2k VM's) to be able to communicate with my wireless router but still have it totally separate from my home network. It worked like a charm and was easy to configure. I'm not sure how it would be in a production environment but for my use it worked great.
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have any of you setup vyatta in corporate network?
    Any feedback? any known issue?
    How about the reliability?