Options

How many times have you failed an exam... or have you ever?

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I hope you reported your dissatisfaction with the training center on the survey at the end of the exam. They do look at that stuff. Good luck next time.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Too many to remember, most recently the CCIE Routing and Switching Lab.

I did eventually pass it.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So far, Security + twice. Thought I had everything down pat and horribly worded questions got me both times. Probably not going to bother with that again.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    IT_AdminIT_Admin Member Posts: 158
    Oh let's see.

From 04' - Now.. I've failed

A+ x1 - Software exam hardly studied for it
    70-291 x1 - I mean who doesnt fail this one.
    70-351 x2 - It's killing me.
    Next victim: 70-351

On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Haven't failed any certification exams yet, although I came close on a few of my MS exams.

I take my time with certs and don't schedule them until I feel over prepared. My recipe for success is that I study from multiple sources, I get hands-on with the technology that is being tested, I read forums such as this for insight into the exams, and I take my time during the test to avoid stupid mistakes.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I've failed 70-272 twice, still waiting to attempt the 3rd. icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I failed my first attempt at the CCNA and my first attempt at the beast (70-291). I have adjusted my study habits and have been on a roll ever since.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    Failed i-NET+ in 2000.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    70-067 (Implementing NT Server 4.0) Back in the day, the passing scores varied by exam and I think I scored about a 750 and the passing score was 760, so I missed it by one question. I got busy at work and didn't study as hard as I should have, but I passed it two weeks later.

70-297 (AD Design) I hate Microsoft's design exam format and I failed this one bad - like in the 500s bad. I passed it 3 days later with a 700. Bad scores considering I went through two different practice exams in the design format and only missed one question.

70-284 (Exchange Implementation) Missed it by one question. I was trying to sqeeze this in before the second shot expired in May and I rushed it, but I passed it easily 3 weeks later. In the meantime I took the Exchange design exam and was surprised when I passed it on the first try.
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    I failed the A+ first go around (1999), think it was the hardware portion, by 2 questions I believe. That was a hard fail, but my pc experience was very limited at the time, was transitioning from component level debug( give me a schematic, soldering iron, and some coffee and it's on) to pc break/fix field. I needed that exam to get a particular job, so I was sweating bullets.

Since then, no fails at all ( KNOCK ON WOOD), have my 70-290 this Friday, so may have to update this after that, ...keeping the positive attitude however.

Failing either gives you the strength to carry on (Gunny Highway says, " Don't give the bastard the satisfaction!"), or makes some people tuck and run. To anyone who does fail, persistence is the key! 18 times...WOW, that person deserves an award.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    arwes wrote:
    So far, Security + twice. Thought I had everything down pat and horribly worded questions got me both times. Probably not going to bother with that again.

Been there and done that. Quite frankly I have given up on certification right now as my employer doesn't require it and prefers somone who can do what he needs to do and not just have a piece of paper that says he can.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I failed the Microsoft Operations Framework exam which was the real beast. Much more difficult than 70-291 IMO and was so close to passing.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    RussS wrote:
    arwes wrote:

Quite frankly I have given up on certification right now as my employer doesn't require it and prefers somone who can do what he needs to do and not just have a piece of paper that says he can.

I see other reasons to get a cert:
    1. Microsoft Partner Status
    2. Learn new technology (we all know the majority of people obtaining certifications are to learn the technology)
    3. Have certifications on a resume in case something happens with your job and you full certain prerequisites for employers. For example, if I thought the way you thought but about a degree (oh, it's just a piece of paper), my resume would have been thrown in the garbage and I wouldn't be close to where I'm at in my career right now.

Of course this is all relative to needs and the time you have available to do study for certifications. So, to each his own.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    We got a Microsoft award the other day - 2nd in New Zealand for some sort of sales or another. There's enough MCSE at work that I don't have to stress it - just spend my time learning what I need to learn to make things happen.

I look at things this way royal - I am old enough that my resume stands for itself and I don't need certificates to prove that. The number of engineers we have hired that we so far above me in paperwork, but couldn't get the job done is huge. Not saying certs are a bad thing, but when it comes to a server down the boss prefers me to get out there and get them back up and running. Not always by the book, but our clients don't pay us for down time.

Did I say before that I can smell a blown cap at 30 feet? icon_lol.gif

I am going to pick up the books for server 2008. Probably not take any exams, but will learn what I need to survive. Oh yeah - my thoughts on degrees are well known too icon_wink.gif
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    RussS wrote:
    Been there and done that. Quite frankly I have given up on certification right now as my employer doesn't require it and prefers somone who can do what he needs to do and not just have a piece of paper that says he can.

Who says knowing your stuff and being certified is mutually exclusive?

I find getting certified helps me to know it better in most cases.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    Not at all Hero, but having my immediate superior replaced recently and seeing the quality of the candidates I am more disillusioned than normal icon_confused.gif

I watched a MCSE replace the RAM in a laptop the 2nd day on the job with the freakin battery still in the damn thing icon_rolleyes.gif The candidate 2 before him worked 5 hours on a downed server trying to rebuilt it before I walked back in and told him to not bother because it was never going to run. After 10 minutes discussion he finally relented and took the side off it and found some blown caps - I could smell them the second I walked into the room.

I'm a very cynical SOB having been in the hospitality industry and watched chefs with several years training and a bunch of certs not able to do what I consider to be the basics of kitchen management. I have also watched experts with MBAs destroy retail businesses that been very successful because they believe their papers make them infallible.

Now I am not saying ALL are like that. One of my colleagues is not only a cert hound, but is a bonafide genius at conceptual things and I enjoy nothing more than helping him with his study if possible. Another is into certification because his English skills are still developing and was dropped in the deep end a few years back and needed to upskill ASAP. He has since developed into a great engineer and continues along the certification path for his own gratification.

As Royal says - To each his own.
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    HaywoodBurnerHaywoodBurner Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Passed A+ and Network+ on the first try, which was nice because they were pretty expensive. I believe CCENT is cheaper, but I'm still trying to be very thorough so I can pass it on the first try.

It sucks when you are not sure if work will pick up the bill! icon_sad.gif
    Working on my CCENT, then on to CCNA
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Russ, I have no problem with your opinion, but it seems a bit ironic coming from an admin on a certification forum icon_lol.gif

I like certs because they push me to learn new things. I wouldn't have learned nearly as much if I just sat down and read Server 2003 Inside-and-out as opposed to earning an MCSE. They're not the end-all, be-all, but they can be a nice push in the right direction.
  • Options
    I am very ironic dynamic icon_lol.gif

Don't get me wrong - I am very much pro education. Not only in our industry, but outside it and used to spend a lot of time when I was instructing young motocross riders to drum into them the importance of a strong and rounded education. Where I do have issues is with people who are 'over educated', with no real world experience preening themselves and proclaiming their superiority when in reality they are sadly lacking.
    That is something I have had issues with for years and with recent events requiring new staff have got totally wound up about once more. One example to add to the ones about is a guy that had a degree in computing applied for a position as a *nix engineer. Was offered $38K starting salary with bonuses and other benefits but turned it down stating he wouldn't get out of bed for less than $50K. This is from a guy with NO work experience in a market where there are 50 or more applicants for every job icon_rolleyes.gif
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    savior fairesavior faire Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Back in July 1999, I did not pass the Solutions Architecture/Design MCP exam. It was part of the tract for the MCSD Certification. I failed it by just a few points and due to my own inattention at the beginning of the test.
    In 1999 I passed the three other exams for the MCSD with very good scores, and did it without any work experience in the software(VB, Enterprise VB and SQL Server 7.0). It was all self-study.
    I recently(July 200icon_cool.gif passed the SQL Server 2005(70-431) exam, again by self study. Received a very good passing grade on that one also.
  • Options
    coax31coax31 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I will be honest, judge away if you must but I never give up:

640-801 2 times
    640-822 1 time
    071-652 1 time
    070-291 2 times
    070-294 3 times - this one is really kicking my ass
  • Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Never failed but i guess i will eventually fail i guess we all will fail at least once :)
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Man we have some geniuses here! Wish I could say I never failed an exam....

Security+ - passed first time with an awesome score
    CCNA - failed horribly
    CCENT - failed once, but got a free retake

Never failed a class in my entire educational career! I understand and agree that experience should trump certs, but now a days just to get to the interview they gotta see the alphabet on the resume.

It is funny to see what people believe they should be paid and that is one question in an interview that I hate being asked. It has burned me once so far in all the interviews I have done. At this point I have found what I need to survive and that is the number I give. Good topic!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    ThunderPipeThunderPipe Member Posts: 120
    Well, to answer my own post, I just took my MCP (70-270) and passed. That's 1 for 1.
    So far so good, eh? ;)

Here's hoping to continue the perfect record for awhile.
  • Options
    ThunderPipeThunderPipe Member Posts: 120
    And I just failed ICND1!! WOO! 1 for 2. LOL.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I failed 643 once, totally underestimated that booger.

But otherwise i passed all 10 others on the first try (even some betas I didnt study for at all) so i dont think its a bad record.
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I failed my first ever MS exam (70-291)...I was pretty livid since I studied quite a bit and ended up missing it by 1-2 questions. I later failed 70-294 by 1-2 questions, but I went in under prepared knowing full well I'd pass using the Second Shot if I didn't do it the first time.

Everything else I've passed first time by a wide margin.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    Not yet. Knock on wood......
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    I failed the Microsoft XP desktop exam. The voucher my company gave me was expiring, so I took it. I did not study a lot because I was also doing my Network+ the same day. I think I barely failed.

One day I may return to it, once I run out of security certs.
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    I failed that PDI+ beta exam by 10 points. XD
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."