Options

Server 2008 - 802.1x NAP

hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
Has anybody had an experience with the NAP/NAC in Server 2008? I am considering evaluating Server 08 as a NAP device with 802.1x, but every document I read seems to have a few drawbacks to this.

My main concern is that we will have to configure all of our XP/Vista clients with a bunch of cryptic EAP settings. This is not feasible for us because we don't own any of our client's PCs (we have no domain and don't want to touch each system).

My other concern is that it won't let XBox/Playstation/Wii on the network. Does anybody know if this issue has been addressed by Microsoft?

We are dying to deploy an affordable NAC, and Windows server fits the bill, but are we going to be stopped by these limitations? Anybody know?

Thanks,
HT

Comments

• Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    802.1x requires a certificate authority, EAP, etc. This isn't a limitation; it's exactly how the technology works. To go around this means 802.1x isn't gonna work for you, period.

Have you looked into NAP via DHCP? Seems to me that would fit the bill for you better if you're looking for a simple config. Granted, it's not nearly as secure, but it doesn't sound like you have much of a choice. (Besides, a network with XBox360's and Wii's on them probably doesn't consider security its absolute top priority anyway.)
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    We are admittedly pretty open.

I should do the DHCP, but our DHCP infrastructure hates me. We spent weeks working out bugs in switches forwarding DHCP requests and finally settled for a less-than-ideal solution.