Options

Net Admin interview tuesday...am I in over my head?! Tips?

ThePistonDoctorThePistonDoctor Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
OK so here's the deal...I'm what I guess you would consider young. I just turned 24 and graduated from RIT in Rochester with a BS in MIS, and I have been working at a helpdesk/app security administration position for about 6-8 months. Before this I was at a big company doing network analysis and incident response. I've posted my resume below to give an idea of my skills/qualifications.

My concern is I have an interview for a network administrator position on Tuesday that would oversee two sites for a fairly large company (200-500 employees at each location I think) and I feel like I might be getting in a bit over my head. The position calls for "at least 5 years of network/PC support and a BS in computer science." I have never used windows server 2003 or configured a router/switch/hub, but I know a lot from books I've read. The only reason I haven't done it is because I've never had the opportunity to.

Here's the kicker: the guy I'm interviewing with is the IT manager, has a BS, MBA, and PhD and is the brother in law of someone I work with right now, so that's how I got the referral. I've never met him but I'm told by the guy I work with that he is the type of guy who will give someone a chance so they can get started in the field.

Anyway, I am not one to back down from a challenge but I just want to know what all your opinions are. Here's my resume, and also any tips on what I should brush up on would be nice.

OBJECTIVE:   
Utilize my skills in the areas of network administration and information security to secure a reliable long-term position.   

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:   

May 2008 - Present, Application Security Administrator at Entre Computer Services
Working at the global helpdesk facility of Bausch & Lomb, supported callers from worldwide B&L locations. Active directory/group policy administration, Exchange server administration, creating and administering user accounts in the Peoplesoft ERP system, creating and managing tickets in HP Openview ServiceDesk. Additionally, basic helpdesk tasks such as password resets; wireless network and VPN troubleshooting; and LAN troubleshooting are part of daily duties.

Aug. 2007 - Mar. 2008, Enterprise Data Security (Incident Response) at Paychex, Inc.   
As part of the Paychex Computer Incident Response Team (pCIRT), responded to internal and external data security incidents (data breaches, identity theft, etc). Worked closely with the Vulnerability Assessment team, Risk Management team, and Director of Enterprise Data Security to protect vital company information from hackers and computer criminals. Researched and reported daily on new security vulnerabilities and business issues which could have affected Paychex either directly or indirectly.   

Oct. 2006 - Aug. 2007, Marketing Consultant at Entre Computer Services   
Worked extensively to market and promote the various IT services offered by Entre. Focusing strictly on B2B sales and marketing, developed an in-depth plan combining snail-mail, telesales, and email correspondence and used it to increase overall sales/profits of the organization.      

Jan. 2001 - Aug. 2006, Various Positions at Flake Wilkerson Market Insights   
Worked as a telephone interviewer, supervisor of 12-15 people, manager of the production floor, transcriptionist (typing recorded survey segments), trainer of new interviewers, and in a data processing internship through SCCC, over a period of approximately five years.  

EDUCATION/CERTIFICATIONS:   

Regents Diploma with Honors:   
Ballston Spa High School, 2003      
AAS in Computer Information Systems:   
Schenectady County Community College, 2005, GPA: 3.77      
BS in Management Information Systems:   
Rochester Institute of Technology, 2008, GPA: 3.30
CompTIA Security+ Certified, 2008, Score: 830/900
CompTIA Network+ Certified, 2008, Score: 750/900

ADDITIONAL SKILLS/TRAITS:   

Strong oral and written communication skills, extensive computer knowledge (Windows, OSX, Linux, Office, Outlook, browser scripting (HTML, XHTML, Javascript, VBScript), server scripting (ASP, PHP, SSH, SQL, ADO), networking and security/authentication protocols (HTTP, TCP/IP suite, UDP, CHAP, SCP, etc), Oracle SQL+ scripting). Ethical hacking/investigation experience using Nmap, Backtrack Linux, SQL/JS injection, directory traversal, OS fingerprinting, ARP poisoning, port scanning, traffic analysis and sniffing (Paros, Wireshark), etc. Experience with MS Publisher, Access databases, Photoshop, etc. Also extensive customer service skills, multi-line phone systems, data entry, sales and research experience, work on commission. Very detail oriented and a self-starter/team player, punctual, ability to multi-task, etc. Strong management skills and ability to simplify difficult situations, strength in leadership and self-confidence.   

REFERENCES:   

References are available upon request.

Thanks so much!!

Edit: I forgot to add that I have lots of experience building different operating systems in virtual environments, which is not on my resume (I should add that eh?)

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just an interview so I wouldn't worry too much. They will make the determination if you are right for the position and there is nothing wrong with trying. Good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    oh yeah I know that, I'm not gonna decide to not go if people here tell me I'm not ready...I'll just ask what I need to do to GET ready and cram cram cram, then nail down the job and learn as I go...hopefully without costing the company too much money :P

I guess what I'm asking is what do you think the chances are that I will get the job given the information I've posted :)
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I just did a quick scan of your resume, and a couple things jumped out at me:
    - high school: I'd remove this; unless you were a lot younger or had no work experience or other schooling, it doesn't really need to be there.

- GPA: I tend to shy away from putting these on resumes; unless an employer asks, they generally don't care what your GPA is/was.

- cert scores: again, unless an employer specifically asks, it's not something that most care about; they generally just care that you're certified.

- skills section: not sure if it's all one large paragraph on your "pretty" version that you hand out, but if it is, I find the format visually distracting. I'd break this out into bullet points with separate concentrations, i.e., Operating Systems & Software, Technical Skills, etc.

- the Flake Wilkerson Market Insights jobs: if you have room, list out the separate titles as sub-positions by dates/years rather than listing as "various positions" - it can help clarify what you did there and it will show a pattern of improvement/moving up.

- objective: I'm not a fan of an objective section. I personally like a "summary" better - it leaves you with more leeway with what to say and you can have a couple of bullet points that sum up who you are...a little something to interest the reader to keep on reading. Something like:
    -->IT Administrator with x years of experience with blahblahblah [insert a blurb about what you're experienced with or especially skilled in]
    -->Strong communicator with strong technical skills and a focus on customer satisfaction
    -->BS in Management Information Systems; AAS in Computer Information Systems
    -->CompTIA Security+ Certified Professional; Network+ Certified Professional
    -->etc...
    ...a summary is your 10-20 second "elevator pitch" - if you had just that amount of time to communicate just how "cool" you are to someone, what would you say? *That* is what goes in a summary.

It is pretty cool that you have an "in" with the interviewer...but don't rest on that (not that I really have to tell you that, but mentioning it as a general tip). Go in there and WOW him with your appearance, demeanor, professionalism, skills, etc. Try to find a professional way to communicate that you haven't had direct experience with administrating a Server 2003 environment, but your studies on it have left you with a comfortable knowledge level and you can get along in it, with some guidance and coaching from other IT members. You may not have 5 years experience, but you do have a good amount of experience under your belt, and if he's the type to give out chances to capable people, then this might be a really good shot for you.

Hope this helps - good luck with the interview!!!
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the resume review. Unfortunately I had already submitted the resume (that's how I got the interview in the first place) so it won't work for this job BUT I will definitely revamp it for the future. The reason I didn't use separate "sub-jobs" under FWMI is because I was trying to keep the resume to 1 page or barely over. Is it still a rule to try to keep it to one page even when you have more experience? I don't see how I could fit all my experience on one page and give an interviewer a solid understanding of who I really am. Two pages would be a lot easier.

Anyway thanks for the advice and I will definitely use it. I can use the resume advice to highlight the important areas and better explain my experience AT the interview which will be helpful, and the other tips will come in handy!
  • Options
    if you can keep your resume to one page, then it's preferable in some ways (less chance of the second page getting lost or overlooked, less for the reader to have to go through, etc.), but it's no longer a steadfast rule that you want it to be one page only...if you have more than what can comfortably fit in one page or if it's got not enough "white area" when you cram it into one page, then certainly spill over onto a second page.

Mine is two pages even. I've got about 10 years work experience overall, but the majority has been in a non-IT related area (construction admin.) - until I get more IT related work under my belt, I'm leaving the construction stuff on there & just skewing it to show my accomplishments and the computer-related stuff I did. My work first page is mostly taken up by my summary, certifications & education & training, & skills, and the second page is mostly my work experience. I could cram it down into less space, but I prefer to use an extended summary & skills section and list out some continuing education training I did (priority management, launching & refueling teams, giving/receiving constructive feedback, etc.). Just my personal preference though...

Let us know how the interview goes!

• Options
    Ok, thanks for the advice. I just read this: http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/career/article.php/3771931/How+to+Not+Get+an+IT+Job:+10+Tips.htm and lol @ the number one thing not to do...haha I suck :D
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You aren't necessarily over your head... but be sure not to represent yourself as someone who knows more than you actually do either. They'll snuff that out really quick. What you know is important but usually not as important as who you know and how you present yourself.

You've never used Windows 2003, at all? You can download an evaluation copy for free you know:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb430832.aspx#ENG
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Could I install that in a virtual environment, perhaps? I could play with it at work tomorrow night lol
  • Options
    yup, you can totally go virtual. That's how I plan to do my MCSA practice. You probably know this next part, but in case you don't, just make sure your computer can handle the original OS requirements + virtual software requirements + virtual OS requirements.

• Options
    Excellent, so I am now running Server 2K3 R2 in VirtualBox...now all I need to do is figure out something to do with it. Lol I guess I don't really have an objective, just wanted to see what it looked like and check out the configuration utilities. Looks like now it's time to google my life away about all the "Administrative Tools" and see what they're all used for.

SWEET! :D
  • Options
    photexphotex Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I Would start with creating some groups and add users to them.
    Then assign appropriate rights to the groups.
    This is always good practice.
    You might also take a look at the “Administrative tools” so you get a rough idea off some of the tools you might need in the future.
    Try that for starters :)
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Wouldn't say you were in over your head.. I became a Systems Administrator at the age of 22, for 1 site and 120 users.

Now I am a Senior Systems Administrator somewhere else for 3 sites with 150 users :)
  • Options
    So I had the interview this morning at 11:00 and it went very well. It turns out that this position is not for the ONLY network admin but rather a mid-level manager between the helpdesk and the network manager who works directly for the director of IT (that's my friend's brother in law). It's not a desk job but not a full management role which actually might be a good fit for me.

The first interview was with the director of IT and he is actually not a technical guy but instead he prides himself on being able to speak both languages. The second was with the current network manager (he's the technical guy) and he gave me the layout of the network, the typse of software that are being run, etc. It is about 220 PCs, 10 servers, 200-300 users total. The majority of the servers are Linux but they do have 3 2k3 servers. PCs are split about 25% each Linux, XP, 2000, 98 and they even have 3 win95 computers that are hooked up to x-ray machines (lol).

Anyway as I said I think the interviews both went very well. I got a good sense of the corporate culture and the work environment and they seem like a fun bunch of people to work with. The network manager asked hardly ANY technical questions. It seems like what they're looking for is someone who is well-rounded and has a desire to advance which is definitely me. Any questions they did ask I was able to answer with no problem. Judging by the stuff we talked about, I will have a chance to utilize both Windows and Linux system/network admin skills, some web develeopment stuff, VOIP integrations, and come cool projects.

All in all it sounds like exactly the position I'm looking for and it would give me a lot of freedom to tailor the job to be what I want. Now as far as the salary...I think it's going to be lower than what I expected, but I might have also been expecting too much. Given the position description now I think I compared it to the wrong job and the correct one is more in the range I think it will fall into. I was expecting a 50-60K base + benefits but I think it is going to be more in the range of 40-50K + benefits. Depending on the benefits that might be ok, and they also have a tuition reimbursement program, a gas reimbursement program and are big on education, so i think the whole package plus being able to utilize ALL my skills will be worth it.

Any tips on negotiating salary would be helpful. Of course the director asked me what I was looking for and I told him I couldn't make a judgement without speaking to the network guy and knowing what I was up against. Then he told me it didn't matter what I asked for whether it was 20K or 100K because he had a range in mind already, so I told him in that case I wanted 100K :D and he took the hint to back off. I will have another interview with the CFO probably after the new year and then one with the HR people to go over benefits, so I'm going to revamp my resume into an easy to read format before then and hopefully come up with a win-win situation for the salary.

Ok I'll shut up now. :D

P.S. any ideas for what I should be shooting for base-salary-wise? I am aiming for 45-50K. Is that reasonable?
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    sounds like a nice role for you, not sure ive got much in way of advice in salary neg...

however i know when im in interviews if asked about salary i always brush it aside saying something along the lines of im sure we will reach a mutual beneficial figure if im offered the role...

basically it lets them know im interested in the role and that im negotiable on salary and more importantly lets me get out the room to clear my head and see what i believe the job is worth v what i believe im worth etc this usually stops me selling myself short and it stops me scaring them with a figure outside of their range

when i get an offer its then down to all of the above and then i decide if want\need more v what i believe the co can afford, be it more money in my pocket or training package etc
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ditto @ laidbackfreak. I usually say something along the lines of "I am more concentrated on securing the role, however if we agree to progress with the recruitment process I'm confident we can mutually agree on a package that is suited to my skills and experience / job role" (or some bumf like this! - Something they want to hear so it doesn't sound like you're all about the money (even if you are lol)

If they really push you a general rule of thumb I use is I would not move for a significant pay drop, although I guess that depends if you have commitments i.e. mortgage/family etc etc and the opportunity, but it's more difficult to negotiate a pay raise at a later date than a pay decrease so get as much as you can at the start!

I would say something along the lines of (not my package just an example)

"my package is worth approximately 50k. That is broken down as 42k base, 10% annual bonus, private healthcare, sharesave, pension, 3k car allowance, so with this in mind I'd be looking for a package that equates to something in the range of 50k - 60k"

.....or something along those lines

If they offered you 50k they're not trying very hard to get you but it's your own gut instinct if the opportunity is worth it. If they offered 54 - 56 they want you and you may be able to negotiate up but maybe that's their top offer. Money isn't everything but at the end of the day it's why we get out of our beds in the morning.

Anyway good luck and keep us updated how it goes.[/b]
  • Options
    All great advice. I wish I'd have had a line like one of those ^^ to use before I went in there but I think that he got the hint that I'm willing to negotiate and I don't want to play this win-lose.

This is the first time I've ever really negotiated a salary as every job I've had before this had a set rate because it wasn't a specialized position, so though I may not get what I'm looking for 100% this time around, I can use the experience to get more a couple years down the road.

I don't plan on staying here forever (of course they don't know that) but I will probably be there for at least 2-3 years before my girlfriend gets finished with college so I will have some opportunity to move around.

I will most likely end up negotiating the salary more in depth with the CFO but I'm going to take your advice and not move on the salary part until I'm offered the position. If they want me that bad, they will pay me what I'm worth and it will be fair for us both.
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Well 40-50k isn't bad for a starter network admin role. Or the mid manager helpdesk role that you might get. Usually I see it goes this way with the pay situation. The more experience you have, the more push you get in terms of you asking for a higher salary. Since you don't have too much "hands on" experience with network admin, it might be wise not to push for too much.

Also you could ask about something like, if you get your MCSA or MCSE within a year your salary could be raised 10-20% or something. Ive seen this happen a few times.
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Always have confidence in your ability and skills and don't sell yourself short whilst keeping your feet on the ground. Easier said than done but you'll get there icon_cool.gif sounds like you're pretty level headed
  • Options
    loxleynew wrote:
    Also you could ask about something like, if you get your MCSA or MCSE within a year your salary could be raised 10-20% or something. Ive seen this happen a few times.
    Hadn't thought of that...great idea. I love doing certs anyway and also within a year or 2 the Director of IT wants to move up to a CIO level and suspects that there's a good chance it will happen, so that would put the network manager now in his spot, and me in the network manager's position. They both mentioned this to me so I'm confident it will happen in a year or so.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    Just an update guys... I have a second interview w/ the CFO on Monday icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Just an update guys... I have a second interview w/ the CFO on Monday icon_cool.gif

Congrats & GL!
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637

Congrats!!! I'm glad to hear that the process is moving forward! I got my first Systems/Network ADmin job after about a year of graduating college...I was your age as well with no real experience doing that type of work. Good luck and remember it is nothing worng with applying and trying for ANY job!!
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    2nd interview went well...it's questionable whether or not I impressed the CFO but he definitely wasn't unimpressed so that's good. I should know in a couple weeks if I got it, though actually in talking to him I decided I may not take it anyway because it's a lot further away than I expected (I thought it was based 10 min from me w/ occasional drives to the headquarters 45-60min away, but it's actually the opposite)

In other words, unless the money is REALLLLLLY good there's no way in hell I'm driving an hour 1 way to work 5 days a week.
  • Options
    Update!

I got the job. I have an offer on the table for right around the min point of the fair market value (slightly below), + benefits. I have reevaluated my options and I think I'm actually going to accept because this job is most likely the break I need.

Now, one question I have: as far as salary, they offered me a base of $X and said there is an "evaluation period" of 90 days, but I had already given them a range before that. This is below my range (not by a lot, but I strive for excellence), so should I counteroffer that now?

Option 1: Counteroffer by 5% and cross my fingers

Option 2: Accept and find out if the 90 day evaluation implies an increase of X% after it (if not, option 3?)

Option 3: Accept conditionally, i.e. I will get my CCNA or MCSE in 6 months and I want 15% more at that time, you pay for the test.

Option 4: Decline and run screaming for the hills (not likely)

Edit: my connection told me that immediately after interviewing me the CFO went to the director and told him to hire me right there, but the director told him he had another guy to interview to make it fair. The other guy never showed up for his interview :D
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations!

I wouldn't push my luck too much, given the current state of the economy.

See what they say about giving you a raise when you get your certs. It seems like both parties get something out of that arrangement. I'd phrase it as a question instead of a demand though.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip, I'll read over the offer and see what they say. I will probably accept the job either way because I believe the benefits outway the costs by a long shot, and it's not a permanent position. A couple years and I'm gonna be down south when my GF finishes school and then I can get myself a killer job based on the experience I get at this one.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    As long as you are tactful about it there is nothing wrong with asking for a bit more. Did you ask them what they had budgeted for the job? Unless you are asking for something ludicrous it is very unlikely that they will rescind the offer just because you asked for a little more. You can even be passive about things and just mention that you had hoped that it would be a bit more. Do a few searches on salary negotiation and you'll find a few tips that should bolster your confidence in these things.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The economy is not good, if I was you I would accept it and wait for the evaluation
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Couple of factors to consider:

Did they ever directly ask you how much you wanted to make, did you tell them, and is the offer in the same ballpark?

Is this a jump in pay from what you are making now?

If the answer to either is these questions is yes you have less leverage at this point, though the suggestions about the passive approach "was hoping for a little more" and maybe nudge them along into agreeing to pay for training/certs/pay raise after MCSE or whatever.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    ^

1. Yes they asked me twice. The first time I avoided the question and told them I thought we'd be able to reach an agreement if I were offered the position. The second time I told them 45-55K minimum + benefits. They offered me $42,500.

2. Yes, it is a jump in pay, but still below fair market value.

They are not far below my range, so I don't feel like asking for a bit more (a bump up to 45K even if it's after 90 days) would be out of the question, but I am still going to wait on the benefits package. I have done some searching on salary negotiation and am going to ask my dad for advice as well since he's been on both sides of the field.

I will let you all know what happens :D

Edit: Also impelse: there is no guarantee that the 90 day "evaluation" will bring to fruition an increase. That's what I need to find out. After I review the benefits package I am going to call the HR director to discuss it with her.